Open vented system + gas water heater

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I've got an open vented sysstem at present, which works fine but I am fed up that the hot water runs out. I can't afford changing the system and change it to a combi boiler.
Has anybody had any experience with disconnecting the hot water from the open vented system and connect a gas run water heater to the existing hot water pipes.
Any suggestionss and feedback welcome.
Cheers

Sponsored Links
A multi-point gas water heater is about the same price as a combi.

It would be very bad economy to end up with two appliances just to avoid the cost of installing a combi.

But the real solution would to speed up the reheat time of your cylinder!

If its gravity then it can be converted to pumped for about £240 or less.

Tony

Thanks for your responses. I should have added that I have a family of four and a power shower, who all want a shower in the morning. Therefore, would a pumped system be able to reheat enough water, without having to tell people that its time to get out of the shower?

A multipoint gas heater (baxi) will cost approx £450 plus installation cost which I have not yet been quoted for. However, I can do it my self and have a qualified gasfitter do their bit.

I already had quotes for changing it into a system with a combi boiler and the best quote was £2500.

So in case a pumped system would not do the trick for my family, could for example the dhw storage vessel be removed, connect the pipes of the heating and connect the gas water heater to the hot water pipe?
Would this possibly overheat the central heating or cause other problems?

Why would it be bad economy?
The gas heater only comes on when you need water and the current system draws heat away from the central heating, when the dhw vessel needs heating up.
If a combi brakes down there is no hot water and no heating. In my case I would still have one or the other.
A quality hot water heater seems to be almost half the price of a quality combi boiler.

Any feedback is again appreciated.

Sponsored Links
You will have to change your shower config as well as you cannot have a shower pump on a multipoint.
But yes you could have the cylinder removed and just run the boiler for heating what you are planning used to be quite common. and you can use the scrap from the cylinder to help finance it

If you're really set on the idea look into getting an intercombi. You could use it as a water heater and change it into a combi later on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back