Opening a fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am currently opening my fireplace and have reached the point where I am a little worried that if I take any more out I may end up with a disaster. After quite a bit of work I have reached a metal bar that seems to be supporting the next two layers of bricks. Does anyone know if I can remove this and take out the next two rows of bricks as they just don't fit with the rest of the fireplace. All thoughts welcome. Please see photos below.

Thanks

Iain
fireplace.jpg

Sponsored Links
I think the key to opening a fireplace is to establish where the lintel is that supports the brickwork above. Is there another lintel higher than the photo shows?

If not you need to think about putting one in to sit under the bricks you want to keep.

On openings less than 1m wide you could maybe remove the steel without props to support the bricks above, but you need to put something back in.

Can you post a larger photo showing what going on higher up?

Graeme
(Did this once and not pretending to be an expert :)

Thanks for the reply Graeme, I have uploaded a photo that shows more of the fireplace.

Thanks

Iain

Sponsored Links
Originally the fireplace was open up to the brick arch.

You will be safe taking out the in-fill bricks, at the width of your present opening, up to the arch. But leave in the full bricks at the arch springing points. Dont widen the opening any further than it now is.

Why not remove the face bricks up to the full course below the arch but dont go deeper into the chimney breast, & then pic and post on here?

What is your purpose in doing this?

Ree, thank you for your reply the reason for doing this is that we did not like the fireplace there and we have opened up the one in our other room so we would like them to look similar, although I doubt we will be putting a log burner in this room.

It would surprise me if a 1930s fireplace were originally as large as that. It does look as if the arch of bricks is self-supporting, but I doubt it has ever been open as far as that.

If your concern is just the appearance of the two rows of bricks, then you might consider if you could clean or treat them so that they match the ones above.

Datsun,
Pic the fire opening in the other room and provide the height dimension to the lintel or arch. That dimension will tell you how high to go to match on this opening.
With the above c/breast: sweep and smoke test the flue, and examine the terminal on the stack.

The double skewed arch will obviously support the c/breast above it.
All in-fill brickwork & metal lintel, below the springing points is just as obviously not tied into the c/breast, and following the line down from the springing points shows that the in-fill mortar beds are at different levels to the surrounding c/breast beds.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back