Opening chimney for range master

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking to open up this chimney breast to sink a 100cm range master into it.

Have just taken off some render to see what I’m dealing with and a bit worried the current chimney breast is being held up by 2x2’s..

There seems to be a fairly large concrete block propped up by some timber, on top of that there’s an arch of brick, some of which are loose to the touch, and some cracking above going up to the ceiling. No lintel that I can see. Should I be worried about this? Nervous to keep chiselling the concrete render off in case the vibrations make the house fall down at this point!
10A314BB-D53B-4647-9417-C308AD333659.jpeg

Either side of the arch is a piece of wood, presumably where an old lintel sat?

Ideally I want to go a bit higher than that, and if possible make the opening wider - on googling I had thought this could be a DIY job but on revealing the current state of play, I’m now questioning this! Any advice appreciated

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
OP,
Everything directly below the arch is in-fill and can be safely removed. The arch is self-supporting.
Keep removing the lime plaster above the arch to reveal all cracks in the brickwork - but stay away from the rounded corners.
Remove all the infill and all rubble, & expose the hearth for posting fresh pics.
Measure the width of the opening - its a little tight for a 1000mm appliance.
The appliance will need a ext. hood set 750mm (or Mfr's Ins) above the hob.

An abandoned gas pipe an be seen on the left.

Note: your earlier thread ref the rot damaged joisting needs more detailed & important advice.

Last edited:
Thank you for taking the time.

The three left-most bricks of the arch move 1-2mm if I wobble them.. are you sure it will hold??
Will remove more plaster - thanks. Can I ask why you say to stay away from the rounded corners? Was hoping to take all the plaster off and re-do with square edges.
Current opening is 810mm. Total width of the chimney breast is 1320mm (to the edge of the bricks). If 1000mm wont go, perhaps I could fit the 900 model in..
Re extractor, I was thinking to run ducting up the chimney to ceiling height, then across and outside via the ceiling.

Re the other thread/joists, what additional detail? Do you mean more detail needed from me? Thanks for this btw

Yes, they will hold.
If you intend to use plastic corner beads ("square edges") then hack away at the corners.
Usually, the ducting is run straight up the flue to an appropriate terminal on the stack.
All flues in the c/breast should be swept & camered.

No, I mean, if you want it, I'll give you professional advice ref the earlier thread - there will be a bunch of questions and more pics asked for.

Sponsored Links
Ok! Trusting my house in the words of a stranger from the internet - sounds sensible. I'll start removing.

Noted on the ducting, sounds like I need to look into this more.

I would very much appreciate that - let me know what you need to know and see. Many thanks

Additional pics of the chimney breast with plaster removed to ceiling height in any areas with cracking

4F992688-4538-46C0-AAC4-32919DF7EF57.jpeg
12C0F2AC-8772-42ED-8185-AD4C6D500890.jpeg

Started removing below the arch but the big white slab seems quite deep and solid so I may need to find another pair of hands before continuing, it’s hard to see here but I’ve chipped out the cement either side of it and it’s deep!

A1E326F2-AE86-4228-8F77-CC24E5A95F85.jpeg

Yeah I’ve stopped - as I was moving the big block, the arch and the entire course of bricks above it were moving, all the mortar between the bricks is crumbling in the arch, I have to say I’m not feeling at all confident about taking anything below it out without another lintel in first

Also noticed that some of the bricks under the hearth look like they’ve fallen in
06C3D1DE-51B1-433F-8E7F-41854824616C.jpeg
8E1B2E45-92C9-4B19-9DCA-3D29239A2AFA.jpeg

Got most of the plaster off, any thoughts on that big crack going to the ceiling? Assuming it’s down to the arch slipping in a bit, possibly even linked to the pics above?

AC6C5985-C3AE-46AD-A959-9768E380CAB2.jpeg

It will need propped and another lintel installed before you remove that lintel. That arch will not hold anything.

I'm not a builder, but likewise - I would be very wary of the that crack and the arch's ability to hold up under load.

The arch only holds itself up, under pressure from each side. The sides appear to be spreading, as evidenced by the vertical crack. Remove the support under the arch and the crack will likely widen and the arch fail. As suggested above, it needs a new lintel.

Thanks both. So, back to my original post, maybe I was right to be concerned that my chimney was being supported by a pair of 2x2’s

Put a couple of strong boy props in just above the arch and fit a lintel then you can remove the stuff below.
You can use expamet lath over the crack and cement render to strengthen the breast.
The Internet has its fair share of nutters...the dangerous advice given by the previous notorious troll being a prime example.

OP,
I've mentioned the hearth in your other thread.

I’m not going to lie I was spooked by the movement in the bricks of the arch and the course above it, long before I saw the other posts. I’m not interested in getting in the middle of an ongoing argument, I came here for opinions and advice and appreciate anyone who’s taking the time to chuck in their two cents worth.

The way I see it, regardless of whether the arch is still holding anything up, I need to install a new lintel to raise the opening up as tell80 suggests, so I’ll put that in before taking out what’s below and not take any risks.

You are right that it has been standing for who knows how long in its current state but I stand nothing to gain and everything to lose by rushing this, when a new lintel IS required regardless so it makes sense to me to do it in that order.

I will research how I’ll go about installing that lintel - and no doubt have questions..

The first of which is do you think a 1000mm opening is too wide? Thanks all

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back