Opening fireplace 1990 Bungalow

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Hopefully this shows some pictures https://goo.gl/photos/YefbvFq1xs5gXsik6

I want to take the fireplace out, block off the chimney and build a false breast to put an electric stove into. No back boiler and the chimney is on the outside of the house so just a flat wall inside.

I've taken the wooden surround off and am left with a cast iron insert. I've removed the blocks from around it, all quite loose anyway.

I've now got if you look at the pics a lintel or not ? (protruding out and a bit lighter colour than the rest). It doesn't feel heavy, is a bit loose, can wobble it easily by hand and no more than a few inches into the brick, what is it ? Also a triangular bit of concrete above it in the brickwork.

So where the lintel and am I good to pull the rest of this out ? The Mrs will not be amused if we loose a wall so close to winter, she'll be looking the heating on :confused:

Thanks !

Sponsored Links
First cover the carpet and remove any furniture etc. There might be dust or soot.

Yes, lever the CI surround forward after searching the edges for any possible fixing points.
Maybe some loose debris will fall.
The "lintel" you refer to or any loose brickwork could be left in place.

The flue will have to be swept before you install a new appliance.

When you block up install a vent for the flue, & a terminal insert vent in the chimney pot.

Thanks for the info Vinn. The nook is too small to fit anything worthwhile into as the chimney is external. Will have to look into building a false breast in front at some stage !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back