opening height double bifold door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
if you guys can help,
the house has an opening to an extension about 1.8m wide x 2.13m high which used to be window.
I am attempting to fit a double bi-fold into this opening.
the doors are 1980mm height. the opening height is 2130mm height.
the door gear requires 44mm . This leaves around 100mm of gap which im putting the header frame.

Im thinking of using 100 x 44mm timbers. would it be okay if i join two timbers for the header like this picture to fill the gap and screw the door gear under this?

im not inclined to frame and drywall opening it to suit door .

what kind of architrave is possible to cover the wide header and also door gear?
Thanks
View media item 27752

Sponsored Links
Looks ok, 4"(93mm) for the 88mm double-head and 3"(69mm) ripped down to about 50mm, or whatever above 44mm that doesnt foul, to cover the gear.

Thanks Keveljay.

So i should be okay to put the double header on top each other instead of parallel side by side.

on the architrave should the two be on top of each other or the gear architrave offset as such
[ ___ <header
..[u <gear

yes Kev, double stack them to give 88mm otherwise parallel would give you 93mm and you'd be 'tight' on 4" architrave

Sponsored Links
Sorry for this long question.
I've had a change in mind and put a detailed drawing on what I plan to do and hope for some feedbacks.

Firstly,the thickness of the opening(brick wall) is 270mm. so i plan to put two frames of 100x44 on each end of the opening thickness and board it with plywood sides and top (see top view)

The door is 1980 high and opening is 2130 height, im thinking to reduce the gap by using struts instead of earlier picture I have which is another wood on top of header.would this be acceptable.

what should be the best way to do this?
screw top struts first at the middle( black arrow screws)
make frame (sides and header) on ground, with header screwed on top(red arrow screws)
then position frame in opening and screw sides(green arrow).
then align header with top struts and use long screw all the way until the brick
(purple arrow).

also on left side of the opening is actually a 90% perpendicular wall. whats the best way to cover the 44 thick timber on this side as architrave standard is 69mm. The top im covering with 169mm architrave.

Another option is it possible to not cover the frame and the gap between the top struts is inserted with perspex glass and caulk/paint the frame.

Thanks for all the input.

View media item 28016

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back