Advice on door frame sizes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am opening up a previous blocked door opening for side door in garage. It is single brick, 4" deep.

I have got a solid oak door second hand. Just want some advice on what sizes of timber I should get for building the door frame. I am thinking of opening it outwards.

So the previous hole gap once cut will be 32 1/2" wide by 79 1/2" height (internally, on the outside the height appears to be 80" to bottom brick. So its around that height..)

The door I have is 29 3/4 wide (at its widest point) and 77" Height. The door is off by 1/4 inch top and bottom width. Top is 29 1/2" w and bottom 29 3/4" w.

What timber size would I best be getting for the frame? Would it be easier to plane down the door to make it more square? This would then leave me with a 29 1/2" door, which would leave me total of 3 1/4 inch gap. If I did this, I could install 1 1/2" wide frame on the sides? For the height 1 1/2" would prob do as well, which could be plane a bit and allows me space to put some type of threshold bit in?

Regarding timber, should I be getting treated stuff? Think I got some exterior wood stain I can use on it. Also once frame is all in, what is best to seal up gaps? Silicone? I will then install an architrave on the outside and seal that off. Is this best method. Have I missed anything?

Oh also, whats best way to fit frame to wall. 6mm plugs?

Any tips? Cheers.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back