Opening up a wall for a fire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have what looks like a a wall that was chimney for a fire, have a hearth shape on floor in front of it, its been closed up and has an air-
vent in it, i would like to open enough to fit a cast iron fire surround fluch to wall, and an electric inset.
The wall runs all the way through my neighbours bedroom too, I dont want the wall to collapse! Can I re open it?
ps I dont need much depth only about 6", im assuming it will still be empty behind the wall?
Will I need to close it off at the top if its open inside, dont want spiders,mice etc getting in!

thanks, jeanette

Sponsored Links
If it was originally built as a fireplace you shouldn't have a problem re-opening it - though it may be full of rubble and goodness knows what else (eg mummified pigeons:!:). It's a dusty job.
It's very unwise to block up the flue, even if you have an electric fire. It will attract damp into the brickwork. That's why the air-vent you already have is fitted. You could try this devcie that I've fitted to a couple of fireplaces successfully. Allows ventilation without letting dust fall into the hearth.
It's fitted horizontally up the chimney.
More simply you could move the air-vent higher up the chimney breast and block up the flue above the fire.

Sponsored Links
Hi Jeanette,
You have a chimney breast on the wall so you can open it up easily.

Hi

I took off paper and the vent, chipped away plaster, there is an opening behind the vent oblong, no dead pidgeons thank god, but heaps of soot and rubble. Im finding it hard to break through, i assumed it would be bricks, but seems to be concrete, im using a hammer and chisel, but barely chipping away at it, do I need to use something different?120816/15466_23451465.jpg[/net] [/img]

Is your hammer the right type eg: http://www.screwfix.com/prods/50607...2-5lb?cm_re=SEARCHPROMO-_-CLUB HAMMER-_-50607 Needs to be 1Kg minimum weight.

Just try whacking the wall around the hole left by the air-vent( without the chisel) as hard as you can. This should crack the mortar seams in the blockwork or whatever has been used as infill.

Failing that you might have to borrow or hire a light industrial drill (something like a 5Kg SDS with roto-stop) and chisel bits

Hi
I dont mind hitting the wall with the hammer as long as the wall doesnt come down! Theres def nothing that low down supporting the wall? I was reading other posts and they mention supporting beams, def not in this wall? [/b]

The support for the fireplace opening will be above the air-brick hole. Usually somewhere between 2 and 3 feet high. It could be a concrete lintel, steel bar or brick arch.
Stick your hand up the hole :!: and see if you can feel where the old wall ends and the in-fill starts. If you enlarge the opening you already have you'll get a better idea of what's old and what's new. (a mirror and torch helps if you don't want to stick your head in the flue)
You might also have an old fire-back bricked-up in the opening so be prepared for a bit more bashing.

hi
all done and dusted (literally), took a bit of bashing, just attach the surround now, thanks everyone!
Jeanette

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back