Opening up chimney to house dressing table

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I am considering opening up the chimney breast in a first floor bedroom in a building that has 3 floors plus a basement. The chimney breast is on an internal wall within the property (not a party wall).

I am going to get a local builder to come in and do the work however having heard of so many cowboy jobs in the past I want to make sure the job is done to a good standard and I am looking for some advice off the kind people on this forum.

The current opening looks like this:

I would like the opening to be about 6 feet high and a couple of inches wider. Obviously a new lintel is going to be required at the front of the chimney breast to support the load above (in red on pic).

My concern is the "gather" on the flue will also have to be removed. I would like to know if:

I remove the gather could this damage the structure of the building even if supports are used?
If it could be supported without it being damaged what is the best way to do it?
Will I have to get the building inspector out to sign this off? Will I need to employ a structural engineer?

If I do go ahead with it and it went well I am considering doing the same to the bedroom directly above it on the top floor.

Thanks for all your help in advance :D

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back