Opening up fireplace no lintel :/ (pics)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, any advice would be much appreciated!

I began to open up my old 1860s fireplace but things haven’t gone as planned!

My house has a full height three room basement, complete with an untouched builders opening.

4FF5888C-421C-4A75-9D2A-3FEBA5A6B94B.jpeg

As you can see, the basement opening is supported by a brick arch. The room with the fireplace that I started to open up is directly above this room and I had assumed (never assume) that the builders opening above would be identical - WRONG ‍♂️

After removing the boarded up mantelpiece and hearth of this room…

AA6474CF-E8BD-4805-8D37-811B348B3D18.jpeg

I discovered a cut off gas pipe, lots of rouble/mortar and breeze blocks filling the old builders opening. After taking out several bags of rouble I managed to open up the small fire place just enough to get inside and take a look.

It was a good job I did this before demolishing the breeze blocks because there is no lintel or arch! I’m totally at a loss as to why the basement would have an original brick arch support, yet the living room above seemingly has no support - or am I missing something?

I decided to leave the breeze blocks in place for now but i’m baffled as to why there’s no original lintel or brick arch here; and why whoever installed the gas fire didn’t add any support to the builders opening or breeze block opening either. I’ve left a few pics below. What do you make of this? Or are you as confused as I am?

5FD972F4-F865-4AE6-AD13-E1716E0D4B2E.jpeg

846987CE-649E-49C3-984D-01923008E948.jpeg

Sponsored Links
You can just about make out a thin rusty wire one level of bricks above the breeze blocks, where the original bricks begin …. I think the bricks sat on-top of the breeze blocks where added with the breeze block as they look different and are narrower…

027A618D-7906-4BA0-BA55-F2776C7B7EA0.jpeg

… thinking about it, my dining room still has an original cast iron fireplace. I’m now wondering if this room had one originally too; perhaps being cast iron they were actually structural and helped support the chimney stack.

Sponsored Links
Surprised, not really, it's been tampered with and blocked up and left as is. You've just copped unlucky, especially as the basement one is in very good condition.

Stick a single course concrete lintel in, and fill in as required.

What are you planning with opening it up?

We’re having a multi fuel stove fitted but I was trying to save a few quid by opening up the fireplace and setting the hearth and mantelpiece myself.

Am I correct in thinking the breeze blocks are holding the bricks above up? … we like the idea of having the back and side bricks exposed but they’d need pointing before the stove is installed.

If you are asking will it fall down when I remove the breeze blocks, no it won't.

Nothing wrong with your plan, as mentioned previously, insert a concrete lintel when you get to the height of the opening you want and fill in with brick/block. You'll be able to get a lintel for tenner, it's fairly straightforward process.

It will be dusty/sooty, search around the forum on how to get sooty off brick.

Alternatively you could put a fibreboard/cement board in and use brick slips (cut down facing bricks) to make it look better.

Good luck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back