opening up first floor chimney breast

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

As part of an extension we had on our house (was 1930's 3 bed semi) the original back bedroom 2 was split in two, half for the bathroom and half for the front bedrrom 1 wardrobe. I would like to put fitted wardrobes along the inner wall but it is ruined by the fact that the chimney occupies a large part of the wall.

to save removing the whole thing can i simply take out the frontage of this chimney upto just above head height and fit a concrete lintel or equivalent?. I could then box in the exposed "roof" of the breast and fit a new vent near the top above the lintel. I dont need to remove the whole thing and the outer walls of the breast might be useful and can be easily covered by wardrobes. i just simply want the hollow this would create. Is this a simple solution and is there anything complex that may cause a problem doing this? there is no fire fitted in the room below it is boxed over and vented.

I hope this makes sense

cheers,
Neil

Sponsored Links
If you're going to remove part of the chimney breast anyways, you might as well remove it to the ceiling level of your room. Support required will be the same (or even less as there's now less weight) and you don't have an unsightly half chimney breast still there if you ever decide to remove the built in wardrobe to do other things with the room.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back