Openning up 2 rooms help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought our house 2 years ago and the living room and dinning room are open to be one big room, however its not opened up enough. In survey they picked up the lintel should be checked out by a structural engineer. Does this mean that the person before us that had the house didn't get planning, building control to pass this off. If this didn't go through building control could we open it up more and just say it was always like this as no one would know, as half the job is already done before i bought the house

The picture shows the current size of the opening as A

The new opening should be B

Sponsored Links
If you want a bigger openning then if it had building regs before is a little irrellevant.. will need to get building regs on new opening anyways..
Building regs would treat it like a new opening if doesnt matter really what was there previously..

If it was me I would get a good structural engineer and a good builder to follow his specification to the letter. And the keep very very quiet about it! ;) ;)

Sponsored Links
If it was me I would get a good structural engineer and a good builder to follow his specification to the letter. And the keep very very quiet about it! ;) ;)
Why? For the sake of a few quid? The forum is littered with threads where people have to get Regularisation because the surveyor picked it when they go to sell.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back