Opinions please on hallow tile floor!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

Can you help me?

I live in a rented house owned by somewhat of a DIY'er bodger. The kitchen floor is tiled with large porcelain tiles.

I have damaged the kitchen floor - my 18 month old dropped a wooden toy on the floor and it banged a hole straight through the tile! I was horrified!

Then my friend dropped a candle holder onto a thick rug under the dining table and to my even greater horror the tile underneath snapped in half!

A plate rolled out of the dishwasher and did not break but has broken a tile which is kind of disintegrating and falling into a hole.

When you tap about 75% of the kitchen floor tiles they sound hollow underneath. A couple of the tiles also move when you step on them.

I had the landlord around and showed him this and said i thought the tiles had not been laid properly or they were faulty or something as surely the tiles should not break so easily? He called me a liar, said I had clearly dropped something very heavy on the tiles and now insists I have to pay £4000 to replace the floor! He then dropped this to £1500 as he said he would buy cheaper tiles!

I have refused to pay for the floor but this man has my security deposit.

Any advice? Who could I ask to come around to give an "expert opinion" on this? If I get a tiler around he won't accept it as he says his tiler said the floor is laid fine and the tiles are so strong it wouldn't matter anyway!

Help!!

Freya

Sponsored Links
The tiles have been dot an dabbed on.....4/5 blobs under the tile....1in each corner and 1 in the centre off the tile......this is a BIG..no..no...in fixing tiles....the landlord is wrong to blame you....they have not been fixed to BSI..(British standard)....

Any tile fixer you get round will tell your landlord this,and if he keeps your money,you can take him to a small claims court for monies owed....and YOU will win....

Pull a tile up and I bet hes laid them with dots in each corner and the middle.

You get people laying patios this way and is wrong but to lay tiles like this is just asking for trouble.

landlord is wrong. if laid properly you can park a car on them - they have been very badly fixed. He needs to contact the tiler and have it out with him, not you.

Sponsored Links
if you need some weight to back you i can post a couple of adhesive spec sheets that specify how it should be laid

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back