Opinions Wanted : Hydronic Plinth Heaters -ANYONE?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
Just looking for some opinions from those of you experienced in such matters - or even any knowledge you may have of the following.
I'm re-doing my kitchen from nowt, and have decided to get rid of the old space wasting rad that took up one wall. I'm planning on fitting a hydronic plinth heater under one of my kitchen cabinets but would like to know:

What brand does everyone think is better, Smiths or Myson? (Or are there others worth a look?)

What sort of output would you recommend for a kitchen with three 'external' walls, floor area 10m2 or volume 25m3?

Smiths' recommend 45W/m3, so their unit 1.3Kw (4400Btu/h) would be OK?

I had originally got a rough idea of the output of the old radiator that was fitted, that was MUCH higher than the figures that I've generally seen about. I know that a kitchen normally gets heated by the oven/hobs etc, but don't want it cold in the morning when I'm making my Rice Krispies!! :D :D

Any other thought anyone may have are welcome!

Thanks
Joe

Sponsored Links
We specify and fit the Smiths Spacesaver versions in preference to Myson. They appear better built, come with a 5yr on site warranty, and are very helpful on the phone.

Best place to fit them if you can is under the sink, because they will warm a solid floor just where one usually stands.

Do a particularly useful range of conservatory heaters too.....

I use one to augment the underfloor heating in my living room.

It wafts warm air across the old quarry tiles in the kitchen (open plan ya see).

It works brilliantly as it feeds off the return from the underfloor manifold.

Sponsored Links
Ok thanks Guys,
I was erring towards using one of the Smiths units anyway, I think I can get them cheaper (which would be a bonus), but generally I did feel that they were a better unit from all that I had seen and read about them.

simond - Under the sink would be a good place - didn't think of that!
Oh well I have re-plumbed the kitchen and its going to go under what will be a drawer unit, simply because it was in the middle of the room, and was between the oven and w/m. I prob' would have been harder to fit under the sink unit anyway cos all my pipe runs (apart from CH) go under there - so would have been a bit tight...Oh well :rolleyes:

Thanks Again
Joe

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back