Opinions wanted on situation with electrical works.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I would like some opinions on a couple of issues/concerns I have with the current works at my house.

Having a loft conversion done, which is nearing completion, electrician has put in new lighting circuit and ring main upstairs and new lighting circuit downstairs, he is going to be fitting a new CU but said he would do that last.

So he has currently wired the two lighting circuits and upstairs ring to one 6amp RCD protected MCB, which keeps tripping.

The old circuits (lighting, ring and shower) have been left with 1 to 2m of wire hanging out of the CU. Last night this resulted in a very exciting loud bang and sparks as where the ends of these cables had been cut (as no longer used) they shorted in the cupboard against a pipe (no insulation placed over ends of cables).

So I look more closely at the other works, we had wall lights which he is going to refit at the end of the job, I check the cable coming out of the walls, no insulation and they are live!

Bathroom extractor fan is installed upside down and has filled with condensation causing the RCD to trip and turning off all the lights.

Is this acceptable within the industry? Should I report this to someone? I know that Health and Safety in my job would not allow anything like this to happen and this has been done in a home with children and animals.

I refrained from phoning the building company last night as I would have sworn and would really appreciate some opinions on this.

Many thanks

Neil

Sponsored Links
The 'electrician' has been very reckless and you should consider getting rid of him. Whether you take any further action is up to you.

I find it hard to believe the work you describe was done by an "electrician". There are DIYers on this forum would do a better job than that! You should have rung the builder - under teh circumstances a bit of swearing sounds more than justified.

PJ

you could have a word with your environmental health officer

Sponsored Links
Thanks.

The loft conversion company use this electrician for all their work.

As say electrician - he has a van with nice stickers on it! I will phone them and shout!

Thanks for the input.

If his stickers claim membership of a trade organisation such as NICEIC or NAPIT or ELECSA then get on to them about the state of his workmanship - they should pull him up short

PJ

I'm not sure what reason this person has left cables connected to a consumer unit dangling out but seems very odd to say the least. :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back