Optical alarm?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i'm fairly new to this so plse bear with me. :confused:
I've just moved into a small bedsit, my hall has a smoke alarm fitted but I've read I also need one in my room. I cook a lot so should i get an optical alarm?
Many thanks in advance!!

Sponsored Links
If you're cooking then a heat alarm is the best recommendation.

although, the place does really need to be in advanced stages of fire before it'll go off - I wouldn't fancy my chances sleeping in a room when ones goes off.

Thanks for your reply hairyben!
Although your last sentence doesn't fill me with confidence :)
I think I'll try and get an extra sensitive heat alarm i think! There are other smoke alarms in the building too i suppose.

It’s difficult in such a confined environment. As hairyben says...a heat alarm is usually best when cooking (I've learnt from experience), but how near is the smoke alarm in the hall way? If it’s right outside then you could get the benefit of both. This page is quite useful, it outlines some of the applications for the various alarm types ************************************

Sponsored Links
thanks for your replies both, the hall alarm is fairly near as there are only 7 bedsits on our floor. i'll go with a heat alarm a for now.

Thanks again, steve

Phone the local fire brigade ( not 999 ) - they might fit one for you free . . .

Or you could be less mean, and go and buy one. They're only a few quid for the battery ones the fire service will give you. If you're that desperate I'll send you my fire angel!

You really want a mains powered, interconnecting alarm with battery backup. More expensive, but worth it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back