Fire Alarm Ionisation or Optical

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

I currently have 670MBX ionisation smoke/fire mains alarms fitted in the living room. Currently painting the room and realised that I'm nearing the expiry date (Sep 2022) so thinking of installing a new one while I'm there.

Question is Ionisation or Optic.. which one is better? I have searched many threads that call out the differences but don't point out which is best for which application.

Please advise

Sponsored Links
Check this out.
8c670-aico-alarms-selector.jpg

Check this out.
Ionisation smoke alarms (stairwells, landings, offices):
Designed to react quickly to fast flaming fires, ionisation smoke alarms are most sensitive to small particles. When fires produce little or no smoke but the fuel is subject to rapid combustion, the ionisation smoke detector is the quickest to sense its presence.
Optical alarm
Optical alarms use infrared beams to detect smoke. They are more expensive than ionisation alarms and are suitable for use throughout most of the house. They are good at detecting the larger smoke particles from slow, smouldering fires, such as those caused by overheating wires.

Thanks Chunky.. know the differences so wanted to opinion from folk whether I should get the ionisation or optical one as a replacement to the existing main powered alarm

For what it's worth, Iv'e replaced mine with optical throughout. Any's better than none or ones with the battery removed!
Fit Heat detector in kitchen.

Sponsored Links
That's a good point.. I noticed the batteries were removed from my mains fitted ones. Is there a specific reason for this?

More likely someone who's too lazy to get a replacement battery when it starts beeping because it needs replacing!
Or they burn toast a lot.

Living room should definitely be optical (photoelectric). The only place I would consider ionisation detectors are in bedrooms.

Optical are the only sensible choice.
Aico don't make ionisation smoke alarms now.
Other manufacturers may be available.
As flameport has written "Optical are the only sensible choice."

I draw you attention to the current legislation in the Australian State of Queensland. (https://www.qld.gov.au/about/newsroom/new-smoke-alarm-laws )
When you investigate this further you will find that, because of DEATHS in the past, the State of Queensland now has what may be the strictest smoke alarm standards in the world and Optical sensors are the only ones permitted.

PLEASE do review the requirements in this State in https://www.qfes.qld.gov.au/prepare/fire/smoke-alarms and consider that these "regulations" have been instituted because of the demonstrated need to prevent deaths.

(Just compare these "requirements" with the need to remove "fire prone" cladding from buildings, as demonstrated in the UK several years ago !!!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back