Smoke/Heat Detectors

pff

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I currently have absolutely no fire protection.

Ideally i want a smoke detector in upstairs and downstairs hallways and a heat detector in the kitchen. Is this sufficient? Some websites claim every room needs an alarm.

Everyone in my house has a habit of taking batteries out of smoke alarms because of burning toast or whatever, so preferably mains, and obviously linked, because its way cooler.

Some questions..
Is there much of a difference between optical and ionisation detectors? I understand the optical responds faster to certain types of smoke, are these preferable and worth the extra money?
Are rechargeable units favourable to alkaline cell? I would have thought the recharge performance would degrade over time, is this a valid concern?

finally, does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
You don't give the size of the property, but assuming an average-type dwelling your plan for a heat detector in the kitchen and smokies in the hallway and landing should be fine - this is based on the principle that domestic fires are most likely to start in the kitchen.

Make sure they're interconnected - this isn't cool, it's so that when one goes off the others do as well, giving a few minutes' extra warning. this will either mean running a wired connection between all of them, but that can mean either a lot of disruption to floorboards, decoration, etc, or haing mini-trunking running everywhere. A neater option would be to have radio-linked bases to the detectors, so they communicate wirelessly.

Yes the optical are supposed to be better, but there's nothing wrong with the ionisation smokies so you pays your money and takes your choice. The keuy thing is to have the heat detector in the kitchen, not a smokie - it's the smokie that always goes off for burnt toast and fry-ups, so just keep the door shut to the hallway.

I'd generally opt for the alkaline back-up batteries; if they need replacing before the detector dies of old age (about ten years) you an replace them. If the built-in rechargeables die you have to replace the whole unit.

PJ

I'll go with pjcomp, for a simple system , just to add that Aico claim a ten year life for their rechargeable range. Some good deals on ebay too on Aico; which in my opinion are top brand along with Kidde.

Alarms in all rooms can be beneficial if you identify risks in those rooms. Look on Aico's site for pro advice.
Consider CO alarms too if appropriate.

Edit

The remote is ideal too .

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back