Heat or Smoke detector for Kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am a bit confused, whether to use a heat detector as recommended for protecting against kitchen fires, which basically means that fire has to occur and start burning the place down before the heat reaches the detector head, these heat detectors work on rate of rise of heat or ambient temperature and then raise the alarm by which time a fire may have spread far too advanced to tackle and possibly burn the whole place down before emergency services can arrive.

Wouldn't it be better if smoke detectors were used instead, despite being set off regularly by food being cooked, an extractor fan should prevent unnecessary smoke accumulating unless the food was either burning or cooking very smoky food.

A Smoke detector would give an early warning such as a pan of oil overheating would give out thick smoke before it reaches ignition point, so if I prefer smoke detector instead of heat detector, can I argue with the fire safety officer that my idea of a Fire alarm is an Early Warning, and prevention and not post warning after a fire has broken.

Your opinions on this appreciated.

(Please refrain from making sarcastic comments, that won't help, just suggest why do you think that a heat detector is better than a smoke detector, my aim is to prevent a fire and not detect a fire)

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thank you jj, best of both worlds, so this should cater for my personal choice as well as please the fire officer. (*Both types also save lives)

What kind of house is a fire officer demanding to see a heat device in the kitchen? Presumably not a private one

Sponsored Links
I had an internal neon sign to fit in a private house and the local fire occifer (M/cr) demanded an external fireman's switch.

What kind of house is a fire officer demanding to see a heat device in the kitchen? Presumably not a private one
No it is for any private households, we had our local fire officers who put up a small stall in our High Street making people aware of how fires can kill and why we should all fit smoke and heat detectors. I just happen to take some interest and had a small chat with them, arguing about why in my opinion i think a heat detector would not allow one to arrest a fire in good time compared to a smoke detector, but opinions differ. It was all part of the neighbourhood watch scheme and reporting crime and dumping rubbish, I think it was set up by our local council.

I must admit I do not have a smoke or a heat detector in my kitchen, but after becoming aware how many fires start in kitchen, I am now thinking of installing one, but I will most probably go for the dual smoke and heat.

Last edited:
We started with a smoke alarm in the kitchen . After a week I had to change it to a heat alarm as the sa went off every day.

The norm is a heat detector for a kitchen, a smoke alarm as you already know will give false alarms. From a safety point of view, false alarms can lead to complacency that the alarm isn't genuine.
The advice from the fire brigade always used to be get out, call them out and stay out.
Don't put yourself at risk by trying to fight it yourself. You can re-build a house or kitchen.

a pan of oil overheating would give out thick smoke before it reaches ignition point
We've had a couple of chip pan fires, and in my experience they catch fire before making much smoke.

i have been fortunate so far, I left a chip pan on fire and forgot all about it, minutes later my smoke detector went off in the hall way, as I don't have one in my kitchen, and as I went to find out, I realised smoke pouring out of my chip pan on the verge of igniting any time, so ever since I make sure that smoke detector is checked regularly as it covers my kitchen and hall way, its the only one we have in the house.

If I am not mistaken, arn't there flame detectors those that work on infra red radiation from flames, that could be used in a kitchen to provide an erlier warning than the heat detectors?

If I am not mistaken, arn't there flame detectors those that work on infra red radiation from flames, that could be used in a kitchen to provide an erlier warning than the heat detectors?
Such things do exist. They are very expensive. Not likely anyone would pay for even one in their home.

i have been fortunate so far, I left a chip pan on fire
Get rid of the chip pan. Dangerous and totally unnecessary.

Such things do exist. They are very expensive. Not likely anyone would pay for even one in their home.

i have been fortunate so far, I left a chip pan on fire
Get rid of the chip pan. Dangerous and totally unnecessary.
I got an electric temperature controlled chip pan last Christmas, I haven't yet opened it, would that be better than an open pan type used on gas stove.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back