Talk about messing about!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So last night about 8pm the phone rings. Chinese gentleman I've done somework for in the past.

He wants some smoke detectors installaing in a house.

Trot off to meet him.

The house he has decided not to rent a multi occ. and LABC have told him to install smoke detectors; 1 in the hall, 2 on first landing, 2 on second landing.

I point out he may wish to have a heat detector in the kitchen and a smoke detector in the very large cellar, he agrees.

He then decides he would like one in the boiler room, seems fair, and then he wants one in the bathroom!!!!! Mmmmmm!!!

Anyway give him a rough idea of cost and he gives me a key and asks me to start today.

He then asks about a full fire alarm system and a price for it, I tell him i would have to go away and work it out.

He decides to go with the smokes and heat. :rolleyes:

This morning he calls before i've left to fetch the kit, back to the fire alarm question again :rolleyes:

We talk he decides to stay with the smokes.!!

Dropping the kids off he calls again asking me to price installing just the FP200 for a fire alarm system!!!!

Decides to stick with the smokes.

Go to the property to measure up for the smokes and check Volt Drop calcs etc.

Phone goes, he is 50:50 on what he wants, I give him the fixed price for his smokes and for a fire alarm system

£600 against £2400

He then says he wants to wait until after the weekend and meet up!!!!

HONESTLY. So today I've spent half a day pricing, re-pricing and then put on hold.

Do I charge him for this morning? Or wait for the outcome on Monday.

He was even advising me on cable routes to try to save 8m of cable!!!

And to top it off he had left 50m of T&E 1.5mm red/black in the hope i would use it!!!!

Sponsored Links
See if you get the job first - what goes into the fire alarm for £2400? If he is umming about £600 then chances are he isn't going to go with £2400!
I'd advise against placing anything like that in a bathroom.
Maybe a CO alarm too in the boiler rm?

Sponsored Links
how's his emergency lighting situation??

he needs it in comunal stairwells etc...

I keep looking at this:
The house he has decided not to rent a multi occ.
and wondering what it means.

I don't think it means that he's decided not to rent it or you wouldn't be involved.....

:confused:

BAS, he was going to rent on a Multiple occupancy basis, then changed his mind back to domestic rental.

Anyway, this has now progressed further.

Saturday morning, my phone goes and he has decided to have nothing done and is getting an Architect in!!!!

Wants his key back, fair enough.

So no smokes/heats, no fire alarm, no emergency lighting so what in the name is he going to do with the place is anyones guess!!!!

Put his number into your phone as "time waster" so at least next time you know not to bother answering it.

Good plan 123 and i'll be dropping him a bill for £150.00 for the time he has also wasted :D

And you think that he's actually going to pay it? :D

as soon as he gave you the key and asked you to start, he's employed you..

you have every right to charge him for the time you spent trying to meet his ever changing wishes..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back