How to connect six cables in one box?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My consumer box is in the utility room which is in the middle of a single storey L shaped barn conversion - the supply for five smoke detectors goes up into the void directly above the utility room and will then go off to linked detectors in five completely different directions.

I've run the 1.5mm 4 core fire rated cable today for the electrician (he has agreed to let me run the cables in the house, after first discussing everything with him. He inspects it all before the plasterboard goes on and carries out all final connections and testing) and was wondering how six cables can all be connected in one junction box.

Sponsored Links
I've run the 1.5mm 4 core fire rated cable today for the electrician (he has agreed to let me run the cables in the house, after first discussing everything with him. He inspects it all before the plasterboard goes on and carries out all final connections and testing) and was wondering how six cables can all be connected in one junction box.
Probably the easiest way is to use 6-way Wago connectors click here inside a suitable sized plastic box. If you wanted to 'future proof' the arrangements, they also do 8-way connectors. UNless you can get them into a 'Wagobox' (which may not be possible) the box would have to remain accessible for inspection and testing.

Kind Regards, John

Probably the easiest way is to use 6-way Wago connectors click here inside a suitable sized plastic box. If you wanted to 'future proof' the arrangements, they also do 8-way connectors. UNless you can get them into a 'Wagobox' (which may not be possible) the box would have to remain accessible for inspection and testing.

Kind Regards, John

Thank you - the box will be wall mounted to avoid access problems. Should the box/glands be fire rated too?

Thank you - the box will be wall mounted to avoid access problems. Should the box/glands be fire rated too?
You need an expert to answer that. On the face of it, if the cable is to be fire-rated, it certainly would not be unreasonable for the box and glands to be as well! Hopefully someone will give you a definitive answer.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Are these smoke detectors which form part of a fire alarm system with a seperate sounder circuit, or are they standard domestic smoke alarms?

Fire alarms in a domestic property (which you live in and not flats for example) don't require fire proof cable or metal boxes and ceramic connectors - providing the detectors have a battery back up. Only more advanced systems require fp cable etc.

Indeed, and as a result there's no point in supplying fireproof connection boxes.

In fact you have wasted your money by installing FP cable.

Isn't "wasted your money" a bit of an overstatement? I would have thought that using fire-resistant cable would increase the chances of the between-alarms linkage remaining operative in the event of a fire, wouldn't it? If so, I would not necessarily consider that a waste of money, particularly if I were at the opposite end of this L-shaped property from a fire - woould you?

Kind Regards, John

I would have thought that if you were still inside a domestic dwelling by the time a fire had destroyed the wiring you would only be leaving in a body bag.

I would have thought that if you were still inside a domestic dwelling by the time a fire had destroyed the wiring you would only be leaving in a body bag.
That surely depends crucially upon the location (and origin) of the fire. Furthermore, the domestic dwelling we're talking about is a little unusual, a (probably 'long and thin') L-shaped barn conversion. As I said, I can well imagine a fire at one end of such a building being able to damage wiring (particularly if the origin of the fire was close to that wiring) before those at the other end needed body bags.

Kind Regards, John

That surely depends crucially upon the location (and origin) of the fire. Furthermore, the domestic dwelling we're talking about is a little unusual, a (probably 'long and thin') L-shaped barn conversion. As I said, I can well imagine a fire at one end of such a building being able to damage wiring (particularly if the origin of the fire was close to that wiring) before those at the other end needed body bags.

Kind Regards, John

Yes, the barn is long and thin, with two log burners, one in the lounge, over 80 feet from the opposite end to the bedrooms. So if a fire did start in the lounge it would be a bit like a fire breaking out in a neighbours house - albeit with connecting doors!

I picked up a part used (90m plus) roll of 1.5mm 4 core fire rated cable for just over £30, including p+p on ebay - before the electrician told me that it wasn't necessary, I think I'd struggle to buy 90m of standard 3 core & earth at that price.

I was thinking of writing a book, 'how to build your house on ebay', it's been fantastic - as long as you're not in a hurry!

Irrespective of where a fire originates in a domestic building, the audible alarm system should be such that ALL parts of the house are alarmed immediately. You do not rely upon the fire spreading to alart you in remote areas.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back