How to connect six cables in one box?

Indeed.

And if you stayed in the house until the fire had destroyed the wiring?

Sponsored Links
Better, then, to install a fire exit door "at the other end"?
With such a long buiilding, I would expect that fire exits (or, at least, some means of escape) would exist near to both ends (and probably other places). However, no fire exit is of any use if one is not aware of the need to use it - which could initially be the case if the interlink between the alarms became non-functional.

I can't really believe you are suggesting that it's best to wait until a fire (which started a long way away) spreads close enough to active a nearby alarm and thereby alert one to the need to use a local fire exit, are you?

Kind Regards, John

Irrespective of where a fire originates in a domestic building, the audible alarm system should be such that ALL parts of the house are alarmed immediately. You do not rely upon the fire spreading to alart you in remote areas.
Exactly, and presumably having fire-resistant cable interlinking the alarms will increase the chances of that happening as intended.

I accept that a fire will usually activate one of the alarms, hence all of the others via the interlinks, before cable gets damaged. However, it's not impossible to envisage a situation in which a fire originating in proximity to the wiring could damage the wiring before any alarm was activated. Whilst that's probably a fairly unlikely scenario (hence some may not feel it 'worthwhile' to cater for), I certainly would not go as far as saying that the use of FR cable was 'a waste of money'.

Kind Regards, John

Interesting side note, that if you don't intstall your Fp cable to the manufacturers support guidelines (normally a metallic support every 300mm horizonally and every 400mm vertically) then it might not be much better than twin and earth in a fire situation. Apparently what happens with FP cable is that the cable does burn, but the resulting melted chared mess is non conductive and stays in situ to keep the conductors separate and prevent shorting out... provided the cable stays in place and doesn't move, letting it crumble off. So the metallic supports are there for more than preventing it simply pulling out of terminations in a fire situation.

How many buildings out there do you think there are with the FP cables just lobbed across the ceiling grid and run round corridors in pvc containment without further support... :evil:

Sponsored Links
Or FP cables fixed with round plastic cable clips.

As you say, should be metal clips or other supports.

But his FP cable was cheap, and its a domestic property. I'm not losing sleep over it....

But his FP cable was cheap, and its a domestic property. I'm not losing sleep over it....
It's interesting that you should mention sleep, since that's something which happens regularly in domestic properties but (one imagines) not all that often in commercial ones! We're talking about a fairly big place (I would suspect of the order of 2,000 ft² on one floor). Regs, aside, is it really true that the risk to life and limb presented by a fire would warrant losing more sleep over details of the fire precautions if it were a commercial premises (where people generally don't sleep) of the same size?

Kind Regards, John

Why didn't you get enough cable to run from one detector to another, in a line, to eliminate the use of a junction box? Thought your electrician may have said something when he looked at your first fix.

It doesn't really make any difference. If a star configuration uses less cable then that's fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back