Advice on location of smoke and heat detectors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

In planning for a loft conversion I'm putting in an interlinked and mains powered fire detection system. I'm going to run all the wires myself and have an electrician wire up, test etc. I can't find definitive information on how many are required and where. The plan is to use as many smoke detectors as required as well as a heat detector in the kitchen. The property is a mid terrace Victorian and will have a loft conversion. The stairs will be closed in and the CU is by the front door. Loft entrance door and main door to living area at bottom of stairs will be FD30. Am hoping the 1st floor room doors can remain as they are. They are in good condition but aren't fire rated and no intumescent strips.

Floor plans below.

Thanks in advance.

v7y59d.jpg

macnps.jpg

ano6cg.jpg

Sponsored Links
I'm going to run all the wires myself and have an electrician wire up, test etc.
Does he know that?

Has he agreed that he will do that?

What did you/will you be telling the council will be the way you'll ensure compliance with Part P?

Yes and yes. A compliance certificate will be issued.

I appreciate your concern. Can anyone offer any advice on locations?

You should ask your BCO what he wants - he's the one who will have to approve it.

Sponsored Links
Then I shall. I was hoping for an unbiased opinion based on someone's experience. Asking my BCO may lead to 'you need x number here there and everywhere, here's the contact details for someone that comes highly recommended' (and of course we'll take our cut).

Can't see how you can run the cables and the electrician makes the connections.

Any wiring in the existing loft (ie 1st floor lighting) is going to need disconnecting and re-routing - possibly rewiring.

This is because new, larger joists have to be put alongside the old smaller joists, and the wiring needs to be threaded through holes in the new joists.

In some areas the wiring can be run over the old joists and under the new joists.

But it's likely some of the wiring will have to be disconnected and re-routed.

I should leave it all to the electrician.

In an attempt to be a little helpful:

You will need to comply with Building Regulations so that LABC will issue you the Completion Documents.

AICO (the smoke alarm people) have an Electrical Contractors Handybook that includes information on alarm locations.
Mind you, they sell alarms, so they probably will suggest you have one in every room :eek:

You'll have to register to get a copy
here http://www.aico.co.uk/Publications.html

But I really would let your electrician get involved. He will know all of this stuff already .

Then I shall. I was hoping for an unbiased opinion based on someone's experience. Asking my BCO may lead to 'you need x number here there and everywhere, here's the contact details for someone that comes highly recommended' (and of course we'll take our cut).
As TTC has said, to keep the BCO happy you will have to at least comply with the Building Regulations. However, they seem fairly modest in the number of detectors they require. If you are familiar with the relevant guidance document which accompanies the regs ('Approved Document B' - (click here) , you will be aware of what (little) it says in parts 1.10 - 1.18 of Section 1, on pages 13 and 14.

At least some of the unknowns are whether (a) you or your electrician or (b) the BCO would want more protection than the minimum implied by that guidance.

Kind Regards, John

Asking my BCO may lead to 'you need x number here there and everywhere,
It might.

At which point, given his significance in the completion of a loft extension, do you:

a) put in a £100 or so worth of detectors you might not need

b) start arguing with him because some anonymous person on the Internet has different ideas?

here's the contact details for someone that comes highly recommended' (and of course we'll take our cut).
Don't be ridiculous.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back