Heat or Smoke detector for Kitchen

It can happen easily if you get distracted and then forget all about it, unless you were starving, otherwise hunger would remind you, I left a pan on low heat when my phone rang, and i went to answer it and it was from work, so my attention got drawn to the job and started to work out a problem to come back to them, and then this alarm went off! indeed I was fortunate that day. Though the smoke or the smell of overheating oil never reached my attached office and a small workshop at the back of the house. My wife has also incinerated food many a times, she leaves things under a grill and in the oven and not come back to it in time and smoke gushes out of the oven.

I remember also when I was a lad in my mid 20s, used to go for a pi$$ up and come back paralytic, and before jumping into my cold bed, i had a habit of warming the duvet and the mattress with one bar electric heater, and then remove it once the bed is warm, switch off and go to sleep, but twice when I was paralytic I took the heater in and went fast asleep, only to be woken up by smouldering fire that made a foot wide hole in my mattress and duvet, burned my leg, that is what woke me up, all the while I was dreaming that my drinking pals were trying to mess about with me whilst i am trying to catch a sleep, I thought they were pinching my leg preventing me from sleeping, but when I started to kick my legs about pleading with them to let go and let me sleep, they wouldn't stop, of course it wasn't them, it was the smouldering fire, so finally i managed to open my eyes a little to see which one of them was annoying me , and good job I left the room light on as well, and as I opened my eyes, the next thing I saw was thick white smoke and immediately it wasn't my mates but my bed was on fire stupidly I left my heater inside and went to sleep!

Immediately I jumped out, removed the bar heater and chucked it on the floor in panic, the floor had a carpet covering and little did I know that the heater has landed face down still switched on on top of the carpet, and I ran straight to the bathroom to fetch some water in a small baby tub, to put the fire out, two buckets later, I opened windows and doors to disperse smoke, and then realised my carpet was also on fire, that bar heater I took out of my bed and slammed it on my carpet had also burned a gaping big hole.Both my parents and brothers and sisters were at an Aunts house to celebrate New Year, only I decided to celebrate with my mates!

When this happened one New Years Eve, the same bloody thing happened the following New Years Eve!and again my leg got burned! Indeed some people learn the hard way, and some never live to learn hard way. I am lucky.

Hey its a miracle and Central Heating is a life saver! Hey Gas Central Heating saves more lives than it takes!! ha ha

I am wondering when the fire burning my leg could barely awake me up, would a smoke detector awake a paralytic person.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
How did he ever find out about it?

Client involved him at the planning stage.
not sure if your post is helpful, or what that means in terms of preventing fires and raising awareness and having an early fire detection systems and warning devices, it is not a requirement yet to have a fire alarm detector or a heat detector fitted in private homes, in rented accommodations yes, unless something happened over the Easter weekend and I am not aware of it, apart from what I know the latest requirement is that if you own a dog, you need to have it chipped by the 6th April. You may ask heck! what does this smoke & heat detectors have to do with dogs, oh yes they are interrelated, dogs are often considered as Early Warning Biological Devices! (When they bark relentlessly you know something isn't right! probably the best detection system on the planet.

Last edited:
Sadly this Easter Weekend there had been a real tragedy where two girls and a bloke and their 3 dogs were found all found dead in a small house fire in Leeds,

So far it is suspected that smoke inhalation may have killed them, so this backs up my argument that a heat detector would not have saved lives, a working smoke detector could have, but sadly it is too late for these people and their 3 dogs, most unfortunate and a real tragedy, my heart goes out to their loved ones.

it seemed that none of the occupants had any chance to escape, it sounds very strange, how no one could escape, unless they were all overcome by some highly toxic fumes that never gave them a chance to escape

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/leeds-bodies-two-women-man-7638834

Sponsored Links
As I wrote in another thread, I'm working on fitting a system throughout our house at the moment, and will be fitting a heat detector in the kitchen which is a combined fixed temperature (135 deg. F) and rate-of-rise detector (15 deg. per minute or more triggers it). Photoelectric smoke detectors will be reserved for the living and bedroom areas.

Smoke alarms in bedrooms, hallways and in living areas are a good idea, I wouldn't bother with a heat alarm in a bedroom but then I wouldn't use an electric heater in my bed. Surely a hot water bottle or one of those microwaveable warmers would suffice?
I have an electric fat fryer which is safer than the pan type, when I use the oven I also tend to set the timer so when time is up it bleeps to remind me.

It can happen easily if you get distracted and then forget all about it, unless you were starving, otherwise hunger would remind you
That's not what he meant - read it again, it was a bit of humour.

I left a chip pan on fire and forgot all about it...
How on earth did you forget your chip pan was on fire? Do you have that many fires in your house that you now ignore them?

What you have just said is that it would be easy to forget your chip pan was on fire if you get distracted unless you were starving, otherwise hunger would remind you that your chip pan was on fire.

I have an electric fat fryer which is safer than the pan type
I once worked for a company who had, in a cafeteria in a US office, a french fries vending machine.

Money in the slot, press the button, and you could hear the sound of fries going into hot fat, then a little while later a bit of clanking and rattling, and hey presto - a waxed paper cup with hot, and pretty good, fries appeared.

I never really thought it was the best idea that the vending machine industry had ever had, and on my next visit it was no longer there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back