AICO radiolink smoke dectors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi ,
as a house holder (who's is also industrial electrician with 16th edition regs)
can i install aico radiolink smoke detectors in my house without informing building control, part p etc?

they have a battery back up so do not need to be wired into an indipendant circuit at dist board.

i was planning to pick up L,N & earth at ceiling rose and run cable in ceiling to smokes for the power.There would be a detector in each habitable room this way I don't need the expense of fire doors.

Sorry the above required due to loft conversion.
Many thanks

Sponsored Links
make sure when you're programming your detecters, that you ''house code'' them to avoid getting false alarms if your neighbours install the same type of detectors

Sponsored Links
There would be a detector in each habitable room this way I don't need the expense of fire doors.

Fire doors stop fire spreading from one room to another.
Smoke detectors alert the occupants that there is a fire.

They are not substitutes for each other. Fire doors are not exactly expensive items anyway.

There would be a detector in each habitable room this way I don't need the expense of fire doors.

I've not come across that rule before, I always thought loft conversions needed fire doors, even if you have a big window and a tree to climb down outside of it. Ask your building control officer, I have found they do give good advice.

As for your original question: No you don't have to inform them you are fitting smoke alarms if they are just supplied from an adjacent light fitting.
But if you are running in cables in every room anyway why not get battery backed / mains powered alarms (not wireless), link them all with 3c+E and stick them on a new circuit. That is notifiable as it is a new circuit but you must know a local sparky who can advise you if you're in the trade.

Hmmm. I'm not sure I'd trust my life to a wireless device :confused:

Not in a fire situation where wireless transmissions can be affected by some types of smoke and ionised particles from the burning materials.

And if two or more sensors start transmitting at the same time then the collision of signals may not be recognised by other units and the alarm may not reach the people in the house.

minos26 wrote:

That rule I believe is for houses of multiple occupancy ( bedsits etc ) and hotels where there is no family interest between people living there and each may ignore the safety of others.

No point in knowing there is a fire in a room if that fire has gone through the door and is blocking the only escape route. And with the fire now licking at the outside of the door to your room you have to hope that door will keep the fire and smoke out long enough for the fire brigade to arrive, locate you and find a safe route to evacute you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back