Optima Compact - works fine but no zone lights on walk test

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help! A friend has just moved into a new house (rented) and there is an Optima Compact (6 zone) alarm panel fitted which works perfectly well each time she sets it. Having installed many alarm systems over the last 30 years I decided to check hers over for her but when I did the walk test, NONE of the zone lights lit up!! I went into engineer programming and all the zone indicators lit up so clearly it's not bulb failure!

Whilst in engineer programming I went to try and change an instant zone to timed but the panel wouldn't have it! The alarm system is otherwise working fine - I set it and activated each zone and reset and repeated for each one.

This one is beyond me - I thought I knew alarms (expecially the Optimas!) after 30 years but this one has me stumped - any ideas anyone please?

Thanks,

Paul

Sponsored Links
If you start the exit timer and get someone to walk around do the lights light up then?

The original Compact 6 has fixed zone types eg zone 1 e/e , zone 2 access etc , and are not programmable.

Joe 90 - not sure - I will check today. Denford1 - thanks for that - I was not aware - I assumed that all Optimas were zone attribute programmable. I have advised a new panel anyway but would appreciate any ideas as to why no zone lights are active on walk test yet they do all light when accessing programming.

Sponsored Links
It's possible you're not actually putting the panel into walk test, especially if you are using the method that works for the other Optima panels (I think they changed the programming with each model they released, so they don't all work the same way as each other)

You could try putting all the zones on chime (press chime, enter 1-8 and press reset)

This will confirm the detectors are functioning. Then you can set the system and trigger a couple of them with the external bell disconnected so you don't annoy the neighbours.

Odd that I may not be putting it into walk test - especially as I access it from all other tests (which all work) - but I will try again.

And all the detectors ARE functioning - as I said in my original posting I set it and triggered an alarm with each zone. It would seem that the alarm is fine but for some reason either I am not accessing the walk test (odd that it tests Strobe, Bell, Low Volume & High Volume) as you say or there is some gremlin in the pcb. I am using the accepted method to walk test - PROG/CODE/0/6 and then as it does not work, 0 RESET/RESET - does anyone use another method for this panel?

Paul. Why does it matter as long as it works?

Joe-90 I agree with you totallly and it only was when I tried to change a zone from instant to timed (so she could set the alarm at night) that I discovered that the walk test wasn't working. I cannot omit that particular zone as it would mean that the kitchen would be vulnerable. I can easily replace the panel and better arrange the PIRs and zoning but as it is a rented property, I have to work with what is there! Thanks for your input all the same.

Denford 1 - thanks - I just found an early manual for the Optima and as you rightly say, 5 IS the walk test and not 6! Clearly when I had thought I was testing the high volume sounder by pressing 5, I had actually entered walk test and had triggered the zone near the panel and when I thought I had entered walk test by pressing 6 I was doing nothing!

Joe 90 - regarding your query as to whether the zone lights light up when the exit timer is set and someone walks around, yes they do.

Bottom line is - I know the system works as I have triggered an alarm in all zones but I am unable to re-programme zone 3 to timed so she can set the alarm when going to bed as that panel does not allow it. I have suggested a newer panel so I can reprogramme but as it is a rented property she doesn't want me to do that.

Thanks to everyone for all your time and help - I really appreciate it. And, after 30 years installing Scantronic, Omnicron, Detec, Securit, Olympus, Logic and Optima panels, I knew that some were programmed differently to others but never realised that the same make of panel were sometimes programmed differently - DOH!

Don't know if this will help you , but zone 2 automatically becomes a timed zone when a zone is omitted , eg omit landing pir at night , hall pir becomes timed.

Thanks - that might help but only if I change the zone as the kitchen/stairs PIR is zone 3! It's an odd layout (an old Victorian terrace which has had the ground floor opened up). I hate to put right someone else's botched up installation - I usually replace the panel and relocate any PIRs as necessary but when a landlord won't allow that, it's hard to make a system do what a tenant wants! Thanks anyway - I appreciate it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back