Options for flat roof repair (overwhelmed)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a flat roof in an outhouse connected to the house. It's leaking inside at wall. I've looked at where the roof joins the asphalt as I assumed that was where the water was getting in (eg cracked cement), but this looks in decent condition but the join in the asphalt looks quite tatty as does all of the roofing material.

I'm very short of time and having to fork out for lots of repairs inside the house - so just looking at what my options are - I've seen lots of 'liquid repair' products - including some that can be painted on wet roofs - but a family member has suggested I need to patch up and glue a section of new asphalt on the roof.

I've never done this before so no idea what I need to do - any suggestions appreciated.

Sponsored Links
MattB83, good evening

Any chance of a digital image or 2?

Several at various distances external and a couple internal [if possible please?]

Ken

I've got a flat roof in an outhouse connected to the house. It's leaking inside at wall. I've looked at where the roof joins the asphalt as I assumed that was where the water was getting in (eg cracked cement), but this looks in decent condition but the join in the asphalt looks quite tatty as does all of the roofing material.

I'm very short of time and having to fork out for lots of repairs inside the house - so just looking at what my options are - I've seen lots of 'liquid repair' products - including some that can be painted on wet roofs - but a family member has suggested I need to patch up and glue a section of new asphalt on the roof.

I've never done this before so no idea what I need to do - any suggestions appreciated.

I guess you need to know if the leak is flashing or asphalt.

Do you mean ashphalt or felt?

Sponsored Links
Acrypol the joints, wet or dry. Just clear any loose stuff off first.

Sorry - took me all week to sort out a ladder to take some pics.

Here's a pic of my roof and the shed underneath. I think it's leaking in one patch - directly above the cycle mud guard.

I think I did mean felt. If I'm going to acrypol could I check a few things...

1) How clean does the roof have to be, there's some dirt and moss up there in a few patches - I don't have a pressure washer - what's the best way to clean?

2) The felt seems very brittle (in fact we're wondering if the roofer who made some repairs on the roof above this flat roof has caused this issue) am I likely to cause more cracking by getting up on the roof to apply acrypol?

3) to my untrained eye the flashing looks in reasonable condition (messy?). Or do you think otherwise?

Attachments

• IMG_20180824_183437755.jpg
    IMG_20180824_183437755.jpg
    349.7 KB · Views: 357
  • IMG_20180824_183327790.jpg
    IMG_20180824_183327790.jpg
    527.9 KB · Views: 345
Concrete roofs have a nasty habit of allowing water to track along and come out away from the actual leak

MattB83, good evening

OK the Concrete roof is wet?

Is there a door in the opening seen in your posted image?

Concrete in such a space can create condensation.

Suggest you consider getting a hold of some drain trace powder, sprinkle the powder direct on to the flat roof flat and see if any of the colour shows up inside.

As an aside the roof is concrete.

Please do NOT attack the felt with a power washer you will strip the old felt of the concrete.

A can of powder will be less costly than the Acropol.

Ken

Looks like it needs renewing, and messing about with any patches is a waste of time.

Spend some money on a sheet of thick polythene, bags of sand and lath and cover it until you can afford to do a proper job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back