Repair asphalt roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a couple of holes in the asphalt in my roof and I'm looking at the best way to repair them. Previously I've patched the cracks and then painted the roof with Ico Pal sealer. With the ones I have here, it seems that the asphalt has pushed up, creating a buldge. Not massively easy to attach material to. It seems fairly solid. Could one heat it up and then push it back down or is there some better way to fix the roof? I've included some pictures.

View media item 79267 View media item 79271 View media item 79269 View media item 79270 View media item 79268

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately, you have moisture below the asphalt and its expanding and causing the bubbles and ripples which often will eventually split.
Its called interstitial condensation and we would have to know a lot more about the roof structure and building detail to give you an educated guess for how it got there.

Even more unfortunate, the usual remedy is to replace the present roof, and perhaps re-build the whole roof to modern standards. Repair work is a waste of time and money. Your roof is finished.

There is also the possibility that the moisture has attracted fungal decay "inside" the roof - its only a possibility but should be kept in mind.

Perhaps, stay away from using any kind of heat to effect any "temporary repairs" - hidden material can be ignited in a slow burn which might not flare until some time later.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back