Options for replacing old optima 2 system?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi we have an old optima 2 plus alarm system which is I'm guessing 20 years old. It's wired with 5 P.i.r's and garage door contact, 2 panic button pushes and 1 extra keypad in the garage. its never been right since we moved in. Zones not working right internal battery dead, can't be set etc.
What are people's thoughts on a decent replacement? Or are the old optimas good and I should try to repair??? If I replace entirely Should I go wired and use the optimas old wiring (if possible) or go for a wireless set up?? I don't want to go down the ADT route and pay a load monthly, just a one off payment for a good reliable alarm. 5 bed house with garage btw. Opinions gratefully received!

Sponsored Links
Forget repairing , if it's not been looked after the battery charging resistor is probably burnt out , cheapest option would probably be a Texecom veritas if you need an extra keypad , is it a onboard optima plus 2 or plain box ?

I'm not sure, it's the same as this one. (Google image) I think it's generally not happy as the siren and strobe don't work either (tried via the panic switch by the door.)
Are the texecom ones wireless? If not is it even feasible to re-use the old wiring as it looks properly well hidden and buried in walls etc. Thanks for the reply btw.
image.jpeg

So it's an onboard , re using the existing wiring is your best and cheapest option ,panel wise it's up to you the prices go up depending on what panel you want , basic, midrange ,hybrid , all singing

Sponsored Links
Ok thanks, I've had a little play with the box etc but I think it's little beyond me. Might be best getting a local firm in to give me a quote. I know you have recommended the texecom but Just out of interest do you know which brands give the most relatively trouble free service at decent price? I would like to arm myself with some info before the local alarm pro comes and gives me the big sell! Thanks

For a cheaper end panel the castle euro mini is spot on , 10 zones if you end of line resistor the devices, full English display keypad , the only downfall is extra keypads cost the same as the panel, Texecom veritas is probably the cheapest option.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back