Wired smart alarm system options

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I’m looking into upgrading my old alarm system which currently has Texecom pir sensors, panic button and an Optima control box. I have 2 siren boxes one on front and one at the back.

I would like the new system to utilise the current sensors and 2 siren boxes but would like to be app controlled. Hard wired could be done as I have an Ethernet port close by but would consider a wireless one.

Does anyone recommend a good alarm system that fits the above?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Forgot to add that push notifications and gsm alerts would be good, one or other, preferably app notifications.

Texecom Premier Elite with smart com is a possible option, what bell boxes are attached?

Texecom Premier Elite with smart com is a possible option, what bell boxes are attached?

Bell boxes are standard oblong ones with the led part at the bottom - white with a blue window st the bottom, not sure of the make sorry I assume they are texecom?

Sponsored Links
possibly I only mention as power and bell box's are the only thing you have to watch out for, can't remember of the top of my head the bell fuse on the optima, but a premier is 900mA poly and
1A metal. Its not a biggy as you can adjust most bell boxes power consumption n alarm if needed.

as for the wiring, on the Optima A(0V) and D(12V) are the opposite way round to the Texecom panels A(12V) D(0V), so if you take a picture of the connections, the rest should be straight forward.

The optima has extra terminals like Strobe +, which isn't needed on a Texecom bell box or panel, so if that terminal is connected at the panel, you can move it to 12V terminal for the new panels bell circuit. (no need to go up ladder hopefully).

I'm not an expert but have a Honeywell Galaxy G2-12 and use the Selfmon service to have full control of my alarm from app or internet. The 12 zone G2 is an industry respected panel and they're about £30 on ebay, and the ethernet module is about £50 then £1/month to use. You'd also need a keypad, battery etc tho. I'm not certain but AFAIK sensors can be used with most panels. Google "selfmon" for more info - a few on here, including me, are happy users.

possibly I only mention as power and bell box's are the only thing you have to watch out for, can't remember of the top of my head the bell fuse on the optima, but a premier is 900mA poly and
1A metal. Its not a biggy as you can adjust most bell boxes power consumption n alarm if needed.

as for the wiring, on the Optima A(0V) and D(12V) are the opposite way round to the Texecom panels A(12V) D(0V), so if you take a picture of the connections, the rest should be straight forward.

The optima has extra terminals like Strobe +, which isn't needed on a Texecom bell box or panel, so if that terminal is connected at the panel, you can move it to 12V terminal for the new panels bell circuit. (no need to go up ladder hopefully).

I think they are texecom odyssey bell boxes

I'm not an expert but have a Honeywell Galaxy G2-12 and use the Selfmon service to have full control of my alarm from app or internet. The 12 zone G2 is an industry respected panel and they're about £30 on ebay, and the ethernet module is about £50 then £1/month to use. You'd also need a keypad, battery etc tho. I'm not certain but AFAIK sensors can be used with most panels. Google "selfmon" for more info - a few on here, including me, are happy users.

Thanks will look into that too

Hi, I can’t find any of these boxes in the net, am I searching the wrong thing? Also I’ve seen some alarms that require codes to be sent to reset the alarm - but i was hoping I could reset the alarm via the app? Simpler!

Just search eBay for Honeywell galaxy with ip module or texecom premier elite with smart com.

You're reading about remote reset using technistore. This is something that professional panels can be configured to do by installers who need to restrict use after an alarm condition. It's not something you would configure for DIY. You would just configure for app based cobtrol. You would receive an alert by SMS or push notification, then connect back to the panel with the app to investigate.

Last edited:
Thanks. Found the texecom one. So the smartcom is a separate unit, is that the case with the gsm dialler too? Also is the smartcom service free to use?

Yes, the systems are generally modular with a base panel and then additional add-ons to add different options like wireless and remote access.

I'm not the expert on the Texecom systems (secureiam and sparkymark have much more experience in them), but think you need the com GSM if you want GSM/GPRS (another £150). I believe Texecom's push notification service is currently free, but there's no guarantee that it will always be free, so please keep that in mind. At least with the GSM option, there's no dependency on the vendors systems for self monitoring your system.

The Honeywell Galaxy Flex system has the option of Ethernet IP and a GSM module also.

Thanks for the reply. So the control panel with the smartcom and gsm add ons , looking at a total of £500 for it?

smart com is wireless/ ethernet cable at around £70 shop around, as for the com gsm that's around the £130+ mark.

The gsm module isn't exactly cheap and has limited functionality ie, gprs or gsm, but not both and like many is 2g only.

Thank you. So about £200 for the Ethernet and gsm kit, is the control panel about the same price too £200?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back