My Smart Alarm journey

Sponsored Links
Does this system work if the internet goes down at your home?

Should work in isolation - we just wouldn't get any notifications. However, I can't remember the last time our intent or electric was interrupted. Yes its a risk but a small one.

Should work in isolation - we just wouldn't get any notifications. However, I can't remember the last time our intent or electric was interrupted. Yes its a risk but a small one.
Should or Does, have you tested it? and without an external siren what would be the point.

Do you monitor your internet connection somehow that tells you when its interrupted?

Should or Does, have you tested it? and without an external siren what would be the point.

Do you monitor your internet connection somehow that tells you when its interrupted?

I have an internal and an external siren - read my post. Now lets be realistic here, what are the chances of an issue occurring whilst my internet is down ?. Pretty low I would guess.

Actually - I am notified when the hub goes off line and its happened once during the 6 months its been up and running and it came back up after 2 minutes and yes I was notified when it came back up too.

Sponsored Links
I must say it takes a special sort of person to come on here and accuse an established professional with 908 thanks of being a troll.

Anyone attaching an alarm box to a smart home type system should ask themselves why the smart home manufacturers do not already supply an alarm box.

Now lets be realistic here, what are the chances of an issue occurring whilst my internet is down ?. Pretty low I would guess.
Pretty high for the average working person I would say (obviously I don't know in your case)

My house is unoccupied between 8 and 11 hours a day and its during these times a break in is most likely to happen, I'm with Virgin media for my internet and in the last 11 years its has gone down probably 3 or 4 times during the day.

Only this week my router screwed up either the NAT table or an ARP entry and kicked my Texecom Smartcom offline even though the rest of the house was working fine, I was at work at the time so no remote access or push messages for me, I wasn't worried though as I also have a GSM dialler for intruder alerts.

This system is leaps and bounds better than any other off the shelf alarm system I have ever owned

Then you have never owned an off the shelf system that uses two way wireless communication.

It does worry me ( 12 years designing radio communication systems ) that people put their trust in an alarm system that can be totally dis-abled by a criminal before he or she attempts to gain entry. It could also be compromised by wireless equipment being legally used by a neighbour.

I must say it takes a special sort of person to come on here and accuse an established professional with 908 thanks of being a troll.

Anyone attaching an alarm box to a smart home type system should ask themselves why the smart home manufacturers do not already supply an alarm box.

I don't care. I spent valuable time sharing my experience and info for others who may be looking into this and there ARE others looking into this and this is for them.

Oh and my alarm box is supplied by a smart home manufacturer lol but thank you for your contribution :)

Pretty high for the average working person I would say (obviously I don't know in your case)

My house is unoccupied between 8 and 11 hours a day and its during these times a break in is most likely to happen, I'm with Virgin media for my internet and in the last 11 years its has gone down probably 3 or 4 times during the day.

Only this week my router screwed up either the NAT table or an ARP entry and kicked my Texecom Smartcom offline even though the rest of the house was working fine, I was at work at the time so no remote access or push messages for me, I wasn't worried though as I also have a GSM dialler for intruder alerts.

As I say - I know when my SmartThings hub goes offline (either due to powercut or internet downtime) and it rarely happens. But as I also keep saying - this works for me and is better than anything I have had before.

Then you have never owned an off the shelf system that uses two way wireless communication.

It does worry me ( 12 years designing radio communication systems ) that people put their trust in an alarm system that can be totally dis-abled by a criminal before he or she attempts to gain entry. It could also be compromised by wireless equipment being legally used by a neighbour.

You're probably right. But my house is very much better protected than it was before which is my point. Any criminal will also have absolutely no idea what type of system I am using or the frequencies used to jam it so it doesn't particularly worry me. I am currently renovating multiple rooms in a 200 year old house and I don't have the money to spend on a professional system.

You're probably right. But my house is very much better protected than it was before which is my point. Any criminal will also have absolutely no idea what type of system I am using or the frequencies used to jam it so it doesn't particularly worry me. I am currently renovating multiple rooms in a 200 year old house and I don't have the money to spend on a professional system.
If you’re renovating then pull cables in, cheaper in the long term as no batteries to change and will be a small cost compared with what your spending renovating a 200 year house anyway.

If you’re renovating then pull cables in, cheaper in the long term as no batteries to change and will be a small cost compared with what your spending renovating a 200 year house anyway.

Good point. However - renovations are taking place upstairs only otherwise I would have done.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back