Order of fitting a kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Happy New Year.

We are in the last stages of doing our kitchen. It has been plastered with 1st fix electrics and plumbing.

Could someone advise on the best order to do things please.

1. Flooring (should this go over the whole floor and fitted base units over top or after the units?)
2. Tiling
3. Painting
4. Electrics
5. Plumbing
6. Fitting kitchen and worktops

Sorry if this is obvious but not something we do every day.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
1. Flooring (should this go over the whole floor and fitted base units over top or after the units?)
---Depends on flooring and units, only exposed leg units need flooring underneath them [and appliances] otherwise unnecessary cost.
2. Tiling--- Can't tile till worktop installed assuming you are using as a splash back.?
3. Painting--do as much dec as possible prior to install but will be snagging afterwards.
4. Electrics --again depends what is being installed.
5. Plumbing--as electrics - worktop and has to go in before you can install sink etc.
6. Fitting kitchen and worktops
There is no fixed order for install just common sense and experience.
Without one or both you may struggle.

Plumbing and electrics want sorting first. Pay attention as to where you want/need electric sockets behind base units for cooker/hob, washing machine, dishwasher fridge, freezer. You may want a high socket for a cooker hood. You may also need a socket above where wall units are for under unit lighting. Plumbing for sink (obviously) but if you have a washing machine/dishwasher, you'll need plumbing extending to these locations. Don't forget these need drainage too.

Flooring, all depends what sort of flooring your considering. A lot of tiled floors can be put down after the kitchen installation and tiled to just behind where the plinths fit onto the base units, but remember for freestanding washer, you'll need to tile right back to the wall in the space where it's going (same with spaces for fridge/ freezer (if freestanding)
Kitchen installation including worktops, hob and plumbed in etc.
Tiling. always after kitchen installed

Painting,paint all walls etc before kitchen install , but as foxy points out expect to touch up afterwards. ;) ;) ;)

1. Sort out plumbing and electrics first making sure that you've got the sockets in the right place. Install the electrics but leave the plumbing/drainage at this stage. The two other posters give excellent advice on this. If you have a gas heater/boiler in the kitchen turn this off and cover it up if you are going to need to do any major amount of drilling in its' vicinity, such as core drilling an outside wall for an extractor duct. Gas boilers really don't like dust! If your boiler hasn't been stopped and started in a long time it may be worthwhile getting it serviced so that it will fire-up again after the kitchen installation (I've had one or two which refused to do so - not nice!) Similarly smoke detectors need to be protected from excessive dust (a disposable latex glove works well if looking slightly weird)
2. Walls. If they aren't plumb then this is the time to sort them out by reskimming or dot and dabbing. They don't need to be perfect, but somewhere near plumb/straight does help! It is also a good time to install plywood pattresses onto weak stud walls if you have to use them to support upper cabinets
3. Install the extraction ventilation (as this may require core-drilling of the wall). Run any plumbing or drainage which requires clipping to the wall at this stage and box in this and any exposed extraction ductwork, etc where it would otherwise be an eyesore.
4. Painting. As others say expect to touch-up afterwards. I prefer to get this done prior to installing any flooring to reduce the possibility of spotting, etc
5. Flooring. I prefer to fit this before installing the units if tiled, but I generally install timber/laminate/vinyl flooring afterwards to minimise the risk of damage to the surfaces. Remember to make provision for the difference in height between the old floor and the new if you are doing this or you'll struggle to get appliances like washing machines, etc in place
6. Install lower cabinets
7. Install worktops, install and plumb-in sinks, etc also gas hobs, etc. Worktops should protected with cardboard or plastic sheeting whilst the installation is completed
8. Install laminate/stainless steel backsplashes (as required)
9. Install upper units, extractor hobs, connect ventilation duct, etc
10. Tile splashbacks (as required)
11. Detail units (cornices, light pelmets, plinth boards, etc) and drawers, shelves, etc.
12. Install built-in appliances
13. Clean-out insides of cabinets. Fit drawer fronts, doors, etc
14. Caulk-in and seal worktops, etc
15. Snag the completed kitchen
This works for me with my tool kit and seems to avoid any process potentially cause any damage to a previously installed component. If in doubt always cover completed surfaces with some form of protection if it is in any danger of being left exposed for a while - I do a fair bit of commercial work and a major bugbear is going back to something only to find that it hasn't been protected and has been damaged by another trade - less likely in a domestic kitchen I agree, but nevertheless worth thinking about.

Sponsored Links
Just done all this not quite a full refurbish but a lot of stuff moved around and old floor lifted.

The order i done things....
Moved the extractor fan.
Disassembled unwanted units, took out oven/hob.
Lifted old floor.
Had gas and elec guys come in and do their bits.
Painted walls/ceiling and any plastering.
put units in place plus worktop etc.
put down ply for tiles.
Done some odd jobs (some part wall tiling)
tiled floor.
Done kickboards.

Just take time to think logically as you will be surprised how many things you wished were done before or after if you just rush in. An important point was made in previous post re height of wash machine etc, if the measurements are tight remember with tiling although not tiled where they will sit but the floor at the entry point will be higher after tiling by maybe a couple of cms (ply+tile+ cement) this could make placing the machines difficult.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back