Kitchen fitting advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am due to take delivery of a new kitchen next week. The current kitchen is empty and skimmed so no previous reference points.

I am installing units first then floor is being tiled just under the units (to avoid having to drill through porcelain tiles) then I will fit the kick board. My concern is that we are having a free standing range cooker and want to make sure the worktop height and range height are perfectly level.

Never having fitted a kitchen before is there any need to worry about this? I'm guessing there will be enough flexibility in height adjustment on both unit legs and range height adjustment.

As far as I can tell there is no discernible slope to the kitchen floor.

Any thoughts or shall I just crack on!?

Sponsored Links
I would find out from the manufacturer what the minimum and maximum adjustable height is to be sure. So long as your worktops are within that height range then it should be ok. Personally, I wouldn't just guess.

I would find out from the manufacturer what the minimum and maximum adjustable height is to be sure. So long as your worktops are within that height range then it should be ok. Personally, I wouldn't just guess.

Wise words. Off to check properly.

I wouldn't assume that the range height can be adjusted at all - they're heavy appliances to be supported on adjustable feet.

Sponsored Links
Just checked unit legs are 150mm (-10 to +20 so 140-170mm), proposed range height (not aga type) 900-930mm.

So this is my reckoning...

40mm work top
720mm cabimets
150mm legs (-10 +20mm)

Total 910mm

Allow 15-20mm tile and cement therefore aim to set legs at plus 15mm (165mm) giving work top height 905-910mm range. Range height is 900-930mm so have flexibility to adjust so flush with work top.

Does that sound right? Obviously it will all depend on floor levels which I will have to take in to account before I start. Need to think how I do that.....

not sure what you mean about the tiles. If there are no tiles under the range, there will be a step unless you board it e.g. with ply. It will be very difficult to pull the range out for maintenance, cleaning or replacement if you have to lift it over a step. Don't use vinyl or the feet will sink in. An easy clean non-absorbent surface is preferable for cooking spills.

not sure what you mean about the tiles. If there are no tiles under the range, there will be a step unless you board it e.g. with ply. It will be very difficult to pull the range out for maintenance, cleaning or replacement if you have to lift it over a step. Don't use vinyl or the feet will sink in. An easy clean non-absorbent surface is preferable for cooking spills.

Sorry for not being very clear, the cabinets will be directly fitted to the bitumen floor, the recess where the range will go will be tiled. Hope that makes more sense!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back