Kitchen units hight setting and kick boards?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am going to be fitting a kitchen in a couple of weeks, but there is one thing that is playing on my mind.
The Kitchen comes with 150mm kick boards, i am also going to instal engineered wood flooring over a 6mm thermo board, so thats about 22mm in total, my question is:

Do I take the finished floor height then add 150mm then the kitchen cabinet height and use that as my level, or do i use the current floor level as my starting point fit the units and flooring then cut down all the kick boards to fit the remaining gap?

Sorry if this is obvious to all you kitchen fitters out there.
Thanks Ian

Sponsored Links
One way , is to do the engineered floor first. Up to about 450mm away from the walls where the kitchen units are going. This way the front legs of the units will be resting on the engineered flooring. Adjust the back legs higher so the units are plumb and level. Don't forget to take the flooring right back to the wall where freestanding appliances (washer, fridge etc) are going.
The usual height for the top of the units is around 870mm. This should give you the 150mm clearance for the kick boards. ;) ;)

Don't work from the kick panel up - work from the worksurface down.

Decide what height you want the worksurface - ask the main user (my wife is 5' 2" so ours are set at the low end). Cut the kick panels to fit

You can bet that if the surface is the wrong height she won't know why but she WILL hate the kitchen.

You have to take into consideration under worktop appliances. No good setting the worktop at 850mm then finding out the washing machine won't fit under is it. Just because the wife wants the worktop lower.

Capt, Just noticed your other thread on flooring. Didn't realise the engineered floor was floating. You should raise the units using packers to the same finished height as the flooring then install the flooring after the units are in place. No need to cut the plinths down to size then. ;) ;)

Sponsored Links
Capt, Just noticed your other thread on flooring. Didn't realise the engineered floor was floating. You should raise the units using packers to the same finished height as the flooring then install the flooring after the units are in place. No need to cut the plinths down to size then. ;) ;)

See you guy's are full of good ideas and advise, its a daunting task fitting my own kitchen but the build is well over budget so i don't have any choice,
Thanks for your advice :)

Be prepared for the wood floor to be ruined by any leaks or spillages, warranty will also be void as the humidity in a kitchen is well above specified for that type of floor. :cry:

Be prepared for the wood floor to be ruined by any leaks or spillages, warranty will also be void as the humidity in a kitchen is well above specified for that type of floor. :cry:

And on that optimistic note :)
The humidity will be fine its an open plan kitchen dinning area, so wont be getting that humid, and of course engineered Oak is very stable.....
as for leaks, the washing machine is in the utility room, so only a dishwasher, if the worse happens then thats what i pay insurance for....
;)

well that does answer the original question...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back