Kitchen Installations In What Order

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi;

I have just stripped out my kitchen completely and the only thing remaining is the old lino, did not get time to remove it.
I have patched up and prepared the walls and the new electrics have been channelled in place.
The plasterer arrives tomorrow to fill and plaster the walls.
So what next??
This is my plan can anyone advise differently:

1. Remove Lino and clean up floor.
2. Paint ceiling.
3. Paint Walls.
4. Tile Floor - 1/2 inch expansion gap around perimeter (may fit mebrane and radiant heating mat) - existing floor is concrete. (Thought I'd do this now so I can tile wall to wall and then cover in cardboard.
5. Fit Plumbing (existing pipes are underground and we want new pipes to run above ground) will run along wall behind cabinets and no skirting board will be fitted on these walls "L Shaped Kitchen".
6. Fit Skirting Boards on remaining walls.
7. Fit wall cabinets and cooker hood.
8. Fit base cabinets.
9. Install worktop.
10. Plumb in sink.
11. Tile Walls above worktop
12. Cook first meal - oops forgot to install the cooker.
13. Replace kitchen doors x 2.

Is this a sensible plan?

TVM for looking

I am going to tile the floor

Sponsored Links
No mention of second fit electrics - plan to get your electrician to return to do the second fit after the cabinets are in. he will probably prefer it before the worktop is in the way if there are many outlets to fit below it!

I would attend to the first fit plumbing before the floor, but maybe that's just me (I chipped a floor tile when I dropped a spanner despite cardboard on the floor :oops: - fortunately a unit covered that bit:cool: ).

No need to tile wall to wall as cup'd don't need tile underneath, unless you are using exposed legs?

Sponsored Links
No need to tile wall to wall as cup'd don't need tile underneath, unless you are using exposed legs?

Yes I know but I'd like to know that I had sealed of the floor complete for peace of mind.

You need an expantion gap for wood,but not for stone or solid tiles they wont move if they did they'd break

Maybe he is using tile effect laminate?, which is a no no in any wet area like kitchen and bathroom.

unless you use the laminate specifically designed for wet areas... :rolleyes:

I'd leave the lino down until you paint the walls and ceiling.. no need for a drop cloth..

plumbing and cardboard don't mix.. the cardboard catches fire quite easily ;)

second fix electrics ( and part P testing ) would come between 11 and 12..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back