Kitchen-

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening

I have just ordered a kitchen from B&Q which will be delivered in a month or so.

Can anyone tell me the order in which things should be done

I need to re tile, re paint, fit cabinets and put in a new lino flooring.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

George

Sponsored Links
fit base cabinets (NOT DOORS or any fancy trim)
fit wall cabinets (again, as above)
paint ceiling
paint walls
tile walls
floor (goes under cabinets, cut around legs)
finish off cabinetry - doors, end trim, plinths, cornices, etc

This is the order I'd do it in, I'm sure someone more experienced will be along soon!

Thanks Steve.

Do you have any tips when removing the old kitchen?
Not really. I would always strip it right back to the bare room so you can do the refitting unhindered by old cabinets and sinks hanging in mid air by their pipework etc. :LOL: Set up a single cabinet, fridge and microwave, and a sink if you can (flexible plastic pipes are great!), in another room temporarily.

Have you given any thought to the electrics? Any alterations should be done before you fit any cabinetry. For example if you want under cabinet lights, you'll need a feed and switch for this. And if you're using a different powered cooker you might need a different feed for this too. If you're not confident with it get a professional in - they like working in empty rooms. If you fancy giving it a go, and in the spirit of this forum, ask in the electrics Uk section for advice and you'll get advice on the legalities and technicalities (if you're adding new circuits we may require a picture of your fuse box(s)!)

Sponsored Links
fit base cabinets (NOT DOORS or any fancy trim)
fit wall cabinets (again, as above)
paint ceiling
paint walls
tile walls
floor (goes under cabinets, cut around legs)
finish off cabinetry - doors, end trim, plinths, cornices, etc

This doesnt make sense to me.

Why not paint the ceiling first? Then the walls, then tile the floor if you are tiling it.

Only then would I start thinking about the kitchen units.

To remove the old kitchen you could carefully dis-assemble it.......or smash the cr@p out of it with a hammer ;)

I would paint first though, makes no sense in painting around and up to the cabinets, plus you might get paint on them. Any scratches or grime on the paint (which will happen) can be easily touched up after.

I would paint first though, makes no sense in painting around and up to the cabinets, plus you might get paint on them. Any scratches or grime on the paint (which will happen) can be easily touched up after.
This is why I said to hang the cabinets first, then paint, then fit the side panel trim work etc which a most kitchens have.

I suggest that you build your new kitchen in the following order;

Remove old units (with a big hammer)
Modify electrics (sockets and lighting) and plumbing positions
Paint walls and ceiling
Replace floor
Fit wall units (easier if nothing below them)
Fit floor units
Fit worktops
Fit sink
Fit appliances
Fit plinth
Tile splashback

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back