Re-fitting a kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,
I am planning on re-fitting my whole kitchen,I have a few ideas but do not know the procedure to follow in order to fit the entire lot. I have a fair idea as to what is required (listed below). If anyone could guide me as to the most efficient procedure to go with from the list below, would be much appreciated.

a-Choosing the kitchen and appliances
b-Design layout
c-Planning the approach
d-Selecting contractors
e-Dismantling the old kitchen
f-Re-wire and install sockets/switch boxes
g-Making plaster and decortations
h-Fit units/appliances/worktops
i-Connect the plumbing
j-Connecting the gas
k-Connect the electrics
l-Tiling the wall
m-Tiling the floor

thanks

Sponsored Links
Sorry just in case the psot is unclear.....what I am after is for suggestions as to the most efficient procedure to go with from the list given. Or should I carry out the re-fitting in the order stated?

Help greatly appreciated

Generally with electrics and plumbing there will be first fix and second fix. First fix is getting all the cables in place, routed, and fitting back boxes, second fix isinstalling accessories, wiring appliances, and testing. With plumbing, the plumber will run his pipework from the sources to the appropriate point in the room during first fix. Then when fitting cupboards you have to fit them around the pipework (but not much alteration will be needed since it will have been designed right). Second fix will involve the plumber working inside the cupboards to plumb in your sink, washer etc.

Clearly its best to do first fix before the new cupboards are in, then second fix when the cupboards are done. If you want it to look very good, you'll do the wall tiling, then ask the electrician to come back for 2nd, because you dont want to be tiling around his new accessories.

Before you do step e above, I'd advise you set up a temporary kitchen elsewhere, consisting of an old base unit or 2, a sink, and an electric cooker. This will give some relief from the turmoil thats about to kick off!

Also, design the layout (including cupboard sizes, all dimensions etc), then choose the kitchen range. Remember not all kitchens will be available with all unit sizes and decorative features.

Oh, and fit the kitchen yourself!!!! Its not difficult and this is DIY not!!! ;)

Thanks.
Would you re-wire and install sockets/switch boxes straight after all the appliances have been fitted?
Also, if I wanted to make the plaster then tile the walls and floor in one go, would you recommend carrying it out after fitting the appliances or before?

Thank you much appreciated

Sponsored Links
Appliances should be put in at the same stage as the cupboard doors. One of the last things to do.

Sorry what I meant by appliances was worktops, units aswell as the actual appliances.

So I would have to re-wire before the worktops/units/appliances have been fitted?
Also, the tiling and flooring, should i do this before the worktops / units / appliances have been fitted?
Thanks

OK, like I said, rewiring should be done with the room empty, for first fix. After first fix you'll simply have cables hanging out of backboxes in the wall. Then you skim plaster to level the walls and fill the electrical chases.

Then fit units - just the carcasses, no doors or worktops.

Then tile the walls and floor where required.

Then second fix the electrics - sockets, flex outlets, switches. Fit the doors and worktops.

This seems a logical order, IMO. Others may have other ideas.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back