In which order should things be done??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We're renovating a kitchen diner and have a lot to do but beyond a certain point, don't know which order the tasks should be done in (best guess below). We have a budget for professionals for tasks that require it but I'd welcome your view on what we could do ourselves with a bit of effort. Tasks are:

Strip existing wallpaper
Strip existing wall tiles
Lift existing carpet & floor tiles
Remove existing units inc. gas and plumbing fittings
Remove 2 walls
Brick up an external door
Install new electrical sockets/lights and switches
Box in some exposed pipes
Skim the walls
Paint the walls
Install new units and appliances inc. plumbing, gas and electrics
Tile the floor

There may be more! Thanks in advance for your advice!

Sponsored Links
Erm I'd leave the gas bits and electrical to the pro's as any electrical work in the kitchen is notifiable. If its upgrading existing I think you would be OK but moving sockets etc you're on dodgy ground.

To add to that;
• Removing practically any wall is possible but best not attempted unless you know what you’re doing; it may also require compliance to Building Regs. & supporting a structural wall will involve inspection & possibly submission of structural calculations.
• Bricking up doorways may have implications on escape routes & so may also come under BR’s.
• Plaster skimming walls to an acceptable standard is something that’s a lot harder than it may look!
• Tiling is not rocket science but can present its own problems if you’re inexperienced, don’t prep it properly or use the wrong materials, especially if it’s a suspended floor.

Most of it's subjective &, of course, depends on your knowledge & competence. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back