order of work?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking at purchasing a small ‘fixer-upper in neighborhood that we otherwise could not afford. While considering the advantage / disadvantages of DIY versus paying someone else to do the work, I have some questions concerning the order of the work. Considering that most of the homes in this neighborhood were built between 1930 and 1940, and that the ones we can afford have not had their major systems replaced, we would be looking at a major overhaul. (the 95% of the homes in this area that we can not afford have typically been updated AND greatly expanded. The typical original home averaged 1200sf, while most renovated homes average well over 2,000sf and many of these homes have been torn down and replaced with 5000sf mini-mansions (on tiny lots!) My point here is that the ‘historical’ value of these homes is negligible; the only architecturally ‘important’ homes are 1950s era “Jetsons modern” style on lots where the original small home was torn down and replaced by some wacky modern design. (when Hollywood actors invaded this neighborhood and built some hysterically funny homes. Anyway…..

My question – assuming that we are talking about a complete renovation (ignore any possible expansion at this point) concerns the order of work, considering that we will not be able to afford a “do it all at once” cost is no object renovation. It will take time and with the work spread out, order becomes an issue. If the work needs to be spread out over time, my initial thought is to proceed as follows:
o new roof / windows, weather tight ‘shell’
o HVAC, electrical and plumbing (order of these?)
o interior renovations (walls, built-ins, kitchen and baths)
o interior finishes (paint, flooring, etc,
o landscaping after all of the major work has been completed

this seems like common sense, but am I missing something / anything?

Sponsored Links
what kind of timescale?
what kind of construction? brick or the more common "stick built" that you lot have over there?

considered buying a plot and getting a "ready made" house? the kind that comes in 2 or 3 pieces on the back of some trucks?

gut the walls inside ( at least one side of every wall ), this will reveal any structural problems that need rectifying before you bother doing the roof and windows
do the roof and windows
get the HVAC in first, in case you have to re-frame to suit the ducts etc, then electric and plumbing ( same time while the walls are open )
replace the drywall
fit kitchen, bathrooms etc..+ second fix electrics
decorate

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back