Organ donation

BOB D.O.L.E said:
They can have my brain but mines already on the wanted list they will be sticking mine in the next jar to einsteins.
I think the correct term is not jar but test tube.

Sponsored Links
tim west said:
BOB D.O.L.E said:
They can have my brain but mines already on the wanted list they will be sticking mine in the next jar to einsteins.
I think the correct term is not jar but test tube.

Well Fred you should know yea cut up enought bodies thats for solo,s cell.

ok, so I am being the serious one here but so what.......
this post doesnt nag my conscience but it kicks it in the goolies if I had some.... being a girlie I dont but it kicks with the same impact all the same.

Joe.... you can be a sod!!!!!!

but.. this highlights what most of us take for granted.

even just blood donations.

I am o negative... my blood can be given to anyone and is much in demand.

Due to being pregnant and the fact that you cant give blood for twelve months after giving birth... I forgot about the whole thing and continued to forget..

Then, a colleague needed blood... my group.
I had just given birth two months prior but was prepared to give blood.

I have done nothing since and as a result of this... albeit not my organs... but I have found out where and when I can at least give blood.

I stand to be corrected here, but I heard that if you donate the common "o" type blood, they only keep it for so long and then bin it. If you donate rare blood they can keep it for much much longer. It costs more to store blood for a long time which is why they only keep the rare stuff for long periods.

Sponsored Links
I've given a few armfuls, but I've had some big transfusions myself, so they won't take mine any more in case I've picked up mad cow disease or something from another donor :(

When the guy told me (I'd filled in the questionaire which is mostly about having sex with prostitutes and drug abusers :LOL: ) he offered to put a plaster on my arm and let me sit down with the others having biscuits and orange juice so that my colleagues didn't suspect I'd been turned down for lifestyle reasons :LOL: :LOL:

gcol said:
I stand to be corrected here, but I heard that if you donate the common "o" type blood, they only keep it for so long and then bin it. If you donate rare blood they can keep it for much much longer. It costs more to store blood for a long time which is why they only keep the rare stuff for long periods.
I think it's more a question of inadequate supply, they use it up at a fast rate so storing for long periods doesn't tend to happen

That wasn't my understanding, what I heard was that they CAN keep the common blood types for longer but due to the expense and the plentiful supplies they don't bother and so thow a lot of it away. It's the rare stuff that's not that readily available that they spend money in storing for long periods.

im not sure how lng they keep it but its the 'negative' part of my blood type that is the much needed bit I believe.

There is a far less proportion of people with rhesus negative blood than there are with rhesus positive blood.
That makes it important for rhesus negative people to give blood.

You can not be given rhesus positive blood if you are negative yourself.
You can however, give a rhesus positive person blood which is rhesus negative.

The rhesus factor is extremely important in second or more pregnancies where the mother is negative and the father is positive.
Women who are negative are given a special injection to prevent their bodies rejecting future babies.

I have the same blood group as you toffee, unfortunately i can no longer donate because of the medication i take, every time i pass a donor session it reminds me of all the times i gave blood. My mother is the same group and a few times in the 60's she was woken up at night and taken to hospital to donate in an emergency.

I would give blood, but the continuing collection of art on my body does not allow it.

I find that a bit daft.

David

I received a blood transfusion years ago, and am now ineligible to donate. Its a real shame I can't give blood and possibly save a strangers life, after a stranger probably saved my life.

I have given blood 13 times but have had to rest for 2 years as I am now on Thyroxine for under active thyroid.Now my medicine is stabilised I can start donating again :D

Ricicle - I am also on thyroxine but nothing in the blurb which accompanies the tablets mentions that I would not be suitable to give blood. That seems to me to be negligent - obviously I would be turned 'down' when I turned 'up' and answered the questionnaire but could have made a completely unnecessary trip and wasted the time of the blood-takers to boot......

Did your doctor tell you or was it in the leaflet accompanying the pills ?

Per

My entire family (that is, my wife) knows my opinion of organ donation, if anyone needs a bit of me when im finnished with it, they are welcome to it.

As for blood donation, it was a simple decision. My TKD instructor gave me a straight forward choice - i give blood to the NBS or i give it to the jo dang mats. :eek:

techwondo said:
As for blood donation, it was a simple decision. My TKD instructor gave me a straight forward choice - i give blood to the NBS or i give it to the jo dang mats. :eek:
That's not very nice of him, I'd beat him up if I was you! ;)

Sponsored Links
Back