OSO water heater (direct 20rd) not heating up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Just moved into a flat with this OSO water heater. Seller told us to leave 'Boost' on all the time for heating and hot water...after research and reading a few threads on this forum I discovered not the case and would be very expensive.

I have now turned off the 'Boost' switch and 'Off Peak' is always on - timed to be overnight by timer in hallway next to the meter. Which is Economy 7

As I understand the water is supposed to heat up over night and then be enough for us to use in the morning/day. We're out working most of day anyway and only I shower in the AM but it's not even storing enough to wash dishes.

Had the electrician round for another job and quickly asked, he said in theory that's how it should work and to reset switches on the circuit board. I have done that but still cold water.

Am I missing something?

Sponsored Links
How many elements does your cylinder have? 2?

If you have it on E7 only, you get at least some hot water, correct? This would indicate electrically everything is working - power is getting to the element.

It would indicate you either have a problem with the set up of the programmer, is the timing definitely right?
If it's a particularly old cylinder, it could be that either the element is super scaled up, or actually buried in sludge from the bottom of the cylinder.

Had the electrician round for another job and quickly asked, he said in theory that's how it should work
No. In practice that's how it works.

He wasn't any help then, was he?

Am I missing something?
Someone to repair it?

It could be several things.
Can you check that the electrical supply is working? Fuses, timers etc.

However, if it is an unvented system then you need a G3 qualified heating engineer,

I have checked the timer is working (currently one hour ahead of the stated times as it's summer) and at correct times the light on the off peak switch comes on to show it is on.

The building is about 11 years old - would that make it an old cylinder?

Sponsored Links
It would appear to be the element that has failed, especially because of what you were told by the seller.

After all the comments about the electrics. I reset switches on the circuit board (on/off again) and this morning have hot water! That may have solved it for now...

Thanks everyone

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back