OSO Unvented Water Heater

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've stumbled across this brilliant site whilst trying to shed some light on how to use the water heater in my new apartment. It's the OSO Direct 20 RD. I have no knowledge what so ever with water heaters, electronics etc, so was hopeing some here may be able to help :rolleyes:

I have 2 switches on the wall attached to the heater, which I've been turning both on for a couple of hours at night and then turning them back off. I also have a timer in the cupboard where the water heater is located, but have no idea if this is related. And in the hallway I also have a thermostat.

I have no idea how I should be using any of these to provide the most efficient results. I've added pics below of all components below.

Appreciate your time.

Sponsored Links
Have you got a dual-tariff supply?

Commonly the idea is to run the bottom element during cheap rate and use the top element if you need to top-up the hot water during the day, so you have a timer which turns the bottom element on and off to use cheap electricity, and a boost button which switches on the top element for a hour or two.

The thermostat is for your heating - what do you have?

There are two heating elements. The bottom one should be operated by the timer to only work when your electricity supply is on the low tariff. Depending upon your electricity supplier / tariff, this is usually either 7 hours during the night (economy 7) or 7 hours at night plus some daytime boost periods (economy 10) that way the whole tank is heated with electricity at about one third of the normal peak rate cost. The power to the timeswitch should be left on permanently and the times set to turn the element on and off during the cheaper periods.

The top element is designed as a top up to be used as a boost if you run out of stored hot water. This is operated manually, but you will be using full price electricity if you use it in the peak tariff time.

The immersion controller is a Sangamo PSD Powersaver and you can download the instructions from the bottom of the page here.

The heating I have is ADAX electric heaters. I assume if I leave these on I'll be able to controle them via the thermostat?

Also, Can't thank you both enough. It's all abit goble-de-gook for me, and you have explained it brilliantly. Also thanks for the instructions to the controller.

:D

Sponsored Links
The heating I have is ADAX electric heaters.
I hope your flat is extremely well insulated - those are not storage heaters, so will be expensive to run.

I'm wondering if you do have Economy 7 or Economy 10......

I hope your flat is extremely well insulated - those are not storage heaters, so will be expensive to run.

I'm wondering if you do have Economy 7 or Economy 10......

Ahh, best keeping the heating to a minimum then.

As I've just moved in I'm waiting for my landlord to transfer tenant details over to the electric company, so as yet I don't know if I'm on 7 or 10.

I've stumbled across this brilliant site whilst trying to shed some light on how to use the water heater in my new apartment. It's the OSO Direct 20 RD. I have no knowledge what so ever with water heaters, electronics etc, so was hopeing some here may be able to help :rolleyes:

I have 2 switches on the wall attached to the heater, which I've been turning both on for a couple of hours at night and then turning them back off. I also have a timer in the cupboard where the water heater is located, but have no idea if this is related. And in the hallway I also have a thermostat.

I have no idea how I should be using any of these to provide the most efficient results. I've added pics below of all components below.

Appreciate your time.

It is good practice to identify and label the fused spurs with DAY and NIGHT respectively. Leave the NIGHT one on all the time under timer control, and the DAY one off. Only turn on the DAY one if you run low on hot water (it runs off dearer electricity).

Appreciate your time.

It is good practice to identify and label the fused spurs with DAY and NIGHT respectively. Leave the NIGHT one on all the time under timer control, and the DAY one off. Only turn on the DAY one if you run low on hot water (it runs off dearer electricity).

A friend of mine moved into a new flat two years ago with these. I was surprised to see a new property with electric heating that didn't involve some sort of off peak storage facility. However, they have turned out to be really economical. She says that her energy bill is much less than her previous, OK, older, and detached, yet similar sized property that had a gas boiler & radiators. However, BAS is right, the place must be really well insulated as it's always warm and because she controls them well with their individual thermostats, for most of the time only two of them ever need to come on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back