Electric Water heater advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone...

I am hoping somebody on here can shed some light onto my current situation.

I have just moved into a property and the hot water is controlled by an OSO direct 20 RD unvented water heater.

There are two switches on the wall behind it, each wired to a heater.

How do I manage these switches? There is no timer from what I can see and I am conscious about running up a bigger electricity bill than is needed. At the moment I have the switch turned on for the bottom heater. I can't tell if this is on all of the time or whether it comes on during the night.

I just want to know exactly how it works.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Bottom switch left ON all the time, power to this will only be on at night at cheaper rate. The actual timer will be elsewhere, probably built in to your electricity meter.

The top switch is used in the daytime for an extra boost if you have used all of the hot water, this should be left OFF otherwise it will get very expensive very quickly.

Assuming it is definitely a dual rate supply.

OP, can you post a photo of your mains, specifically your fuse box(es) electricity meter(s) and any other pieces of associated equipment etc, as this will give us a better idea of what setup you have in place at your property.

OP, can you post a photo of your mains, specifically your fuse box(es) electricity meter(s) and any other pieces of associated equipment etc, as this will give us a better idea of what setup you have in place at your property.

I have uploaded 5 pics to an album on my profile. I still need to get a pic of my meter which is outside of my flat.

Do the pics help so far?

Sponsored Links
Are those two switched fused spur boxes controlling the water heater?
They could be labelled with "Water Heater, Day and Night" respectively.

A photo of my immersion control switch to my megaflow is shown.
5649269101_0553c87bab_z.jpg

It's just a backup to the Gas Central Heating in my case.

Are those two switched fused spur boxes controlling the water heater?
They could be labelled with "Water Heater, Day and Night" respectively.

A photo of my immersion control switch to my megaflow is shown.
5649269101_0553c87bab_z.jpg

It's just a backup to the Gas Central Heating in my case.

Thanks for taking the time to reply and post your picture.

My switches aren't labelled however they both power the heater. At the moment I have the bottom one on constant.

I can't get to my electric meter as there is a lock on the door and I need to find out the code.

I still don't have access to the meter but it's definitely got a night and day reading and I have confirmed that I am on the economy 7 tariff.

Is it likely that my water heater is coming on automatically being controlled by the meter? There is definitely no timer within the flat itself.

I will also add that the building is only about 5years old.

Thanks in advance to any replies.

:)

I would have thought it will be switched by the metering arrangement looking at your consumer unit configuration.

You could buy a non-contact voltage tester to find out whether the element really is powered 24hrs a day or just during off peak hours.

Clicky

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back