electrical water heaters and an electric shower?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Our hot water is heated by an immersion heater in a storage cylinder, using economy 7 heating at night. The hot water feeds a shower, a basin, a kitchen sink, and a bath which we hardly ever use.

I'm trying to figure out a different water heating system which would let me get rid of the cylinder, the attic storage tank, and the bath. I've looked at inline instantaneous water heaters but these don't seem to be favoured by the experienced people on this forum. The flow rates are poor. apparently.

But unvented undersink electric water heaters do seem to fit the bill. I could put one of these to supply the basin and kitchen sink, with an electric shower in the bathroom.

The question is just how much more expensive would this be to run? All the water heating would be at daytime electric rate. We are all electric here using storage radiators for heating - these would remain on the night rate, of course.

Any advice on all this would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
How long is a piece of string?

Seriously, it depends on how much of the stored water you use on an average day. If you only have one or two people in the house who take short showers and don't have much use for the sink hot water then an electric shower/instantaneous water heater may well be cheaper for you to run. If you have kids that like to spend ages in the shower then it will likely work out more expensive.

Unless you really need to remove the water tank then I wouldn't advise it when you have no gas alternative, even the best electric showers don't come close to a pumped system with tank.

Yes, I can see you're right. There's no way of really working out the finances properly and, unless it was cheaper to run the daytime rate system, there's no point to putting it in.

Thanks for your reply.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back