Best way to heat a bath with electricity

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey. Not sure if this is best posted here or in the plumbing section.
I'm trying to figure out the most efficient way to heat a bath using electricity.
I have a 2 bed bungalow electric only, no gas in the area. I have an electric shower and 2 tankless electric water heaters for the bathroom and kitchen sinks. For the bath I'm currently using an old immersion tank and heater. But it takes forever to heat up and the bath is not full wasting a ton of energy. Is there a electric tankless water heater that is capable of filling a bath at a reasonable time?
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Any other suggestions? I'm not going to have the money for one of them anytime soon

If you use a straight resistance heater to heat your bath it'll take you a long time to save for a heat pump, because all your pound notes will go on the electricity bill!

How about a combi boiler converted to LPG and bottled/delivered gas? Oil boiler?

I don't really think there is a magic bullet for your situation.. All the "cheap" running cost options are relatively high setup costs. The option you have available already is high running cost.

Not taking a bath is probably best; you can get clean using a shower using far less hot water

Sponsored Links
It's 9.5kw I feel like it would take over an hour to fill a bath

It's 9.5kw I feel like it would take over an hour to fill a bath
But it'll be at least 3 times faster than a 3kw immersion, more if the immersion has to heat a 200l tank that you then draw a third of.. With the shower you get the amount of hot water you require..

You could fit some X kilowatt electric boiler but you're just back to the same situation with the electricity bill..

Solar panels or solar thermal and have a bath on sunny days..

For the bath I'm currently using an old immersion tank and heater. But it takes forever to heat up and the bath is not full wasting a ton of energy.
What does that mean?

How long is forever? Who fills the bath?

Is it working properly? That's all lots of people have and they manage.

Is there a electric tankless water heater that is capable of filling a bath at a reasonable time?
No.
'tankless' just means it heats the water as it's used. Only suitable for situations where you require very little water infrequently.
Absolute best on a normal electricity supply is around 10-12kW, which is pretty much the same as the electric shower you already have. 4 litres per minute perhaps. 25+ minutes for a 100 litre bath, by which time most of what was put in will have cooled.

Install an unvented hot water cylinder, which can be heated overnight or other periods when convenient. Worst case it will cost about the same as you are paying now.
It could be heated overnight on a cheaper tariff depending on how much electricity is used vs the cost of day/night units.
Or from solar panels which could be added later.
If you fit an indirect type you can use the immersion element to heat it now, and it's ready for a heat pump installation later.

Although the hot water is stored, losses from a modern cylinder are tiny, nowhere near the massive waste from an ancient uninsulated copper cylinder.

Air source or ground source heat pump

Already installed? The 10kw shower above the bath.. Doesn't qualify as efficient in my eyes though..
10KW for 3mins or 3KW immersion for 20 mins... No contest. Even if it heats sufficiently in 20 mins. In 20 mins.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back