Heated towel rail in bathroom above bath.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to locate a heated towel rail at the head end of the bath and I would like to heat it using two heated water pipes in winter and then an electric add-on heater during summer. The problem I have is that I want to ensure that this complies with electrical regs and I am aware that due to its location (around 30cm above the bath) that this means that it needs to be IP65 (I think).

Does anyone know if this is going to be ok and if:

- Do they make heated elements that are IP65 ?
- Are there any electrical wall cable outlets that are IP65 ?

The one we have seen is a Bisque "Cobra-Therm Towel Radiator":
http://www.bisque.co.uk/cgi-bin/bisque/pprint.pl?ecode=24&rtype=CH
http://www.bisque.co.uk/cgi-bin/bisque/pprint.pl?ecode=630&style=24&rtype=CH

Sponsored Links
hi

the IP rating you would need would need to be closer to IP 67 as used in marine installations.
I still would not trust this in a wet bathroom....all academic as the only power source you can use in a bathroom where there is the possability of coming into contact with water / taps etc. must be fed through an isolation transformer.
Like the kind of thing used for shavers.
Otherwise it would need to Ultra Low Voltage.
Not much cop for a heater element.
Thimnk you would be better locating the heater rail away from the bath ...out of hands reach.

didthathurt said:
mark.carline said:
an electric add-on heater during summer.

Interesting, exactly how and with what do you propose to do this?

Probably like I did mine, only IP rated.

Towelrad.jpg

Sponsored Links
Ring the towel rail mfrs. Ask if their kit is suitable for whatever zone it is proposed to put it in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back