isolator sockets for heated towel rail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have a really small bathroom, how far must the heated towel rail "box in the wall" be from any water type things, such as showers and baths?
I have seen heated towel rails above the bath, but then not sure if they were electric.
thanks & regards
Gavin

Sponsored Links
In Zone 3, or beyond.

You may have seen electric towel rails above a bath (but probably not directly above), but where were the isolators?

In Zone 3, or beyond.
where is zone 3?

Another intresting question, if I have a whirlpool bath, am I correct in saying the correct way to feed this would be:

[[[[Consumer board with dedicated RCD & 20 Amp circuit breaker]]]]
|
| 2.5mm square cable
|
[[isolator switch mounted outide the bathroom on the wall]]
|
| 2.5mm square cable
|
[[Bath wired directly from islator switch into the baths powerbox]]

In Zone 3, or beyond.
where is zone 3?
The fact that you ask that shows that you think it's OK to embark on notifiable electrical work without owning copies of the On-Site Guide and the Electrician's Guide To The Building Regulations.

It is not.

While you wait for them to arrive from Amazon (see here as well), you can usefully read this:

http://rapidshare.com/files/96697332/NL139supp.pdf

Another intresting question, if I have a whirlpool bath, am I correct in saying the correct way to feed this would be....:
Possibly - it depends on a number of factors.

See these:

http://www.kevinboone.com/cableselection_web.html

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Book/4.3.1.htm

Sponsored Links
There is no requirement to 'own' copies of the publications you have listed before undertaking notifable or non-notifiable work :rolleyes:

Libraries are a wonderful thing. Or are you saying that they and forums are invalid sources of information?

There is no requirement to 'own' copies of the publications you have listed before undertaking notifable or non-notifiable work :rolleyes:
Did I say there was?

Libraries are a wonderful thing. Or are you saying that they and forums are invalid sources of information?
Borrowing books is not likely to be efficient.

Trying to do things on the basis of only asking the questions that happen to occur to you is not a valid approach.

Give a man a fish.....

Did I say there was?

so are you in a position of contradiction, please explain?

get me right here, I did not come here to buy books, fart pink and jump thro 20 million hoops, debate, get all sentimental on a forum, draw this out to 12 pages of cr@p, debate if I put the live wire in my mouth and jumped in the bath I would die or live etc etc etc etc
In fact I know an electrician that could tell if its 3 phase or single phase when putting the live in his mouth and he is still alive so why do we need a RCD in the first place? Is the RCD just for the pussies that die from the fact that they were surpised by the tickle and not from the heart being defribulated?

just please give me the answer,
HOW FAR FROM THE BATH can I put the box from the heated rails?

I didn't say it was a requirement, I said it wasn't OK to not have them.

get me right here, I did not come here to buy books, fart pink and jump thro 20 million hoops, debate, get all sentimental on a forum, draw this out to 12 pages of c**p, debate if I put the live wire in my mouth and jumped in the bath I would die or live etc etc etc etc
In fact I know an electrician that could tell if its 3 phase or single phase when putting the live in his mouth and he is still alive so why do we need a RCD in the first place? Is the RCD just for the pussies that die from the fact that they were surpised by the tickle and not from the heart being defribulated?
And given that attitude, it is definitely not OK for you to do anything with electricity except use it, and even that is doubtful.

You have no interest in learning what you need to know to be safe, you do not want to listen to anything which does not match your pre-formed opinions. You can't even be bothered to look at links provided which answer your question, so lazy and arrogant are you.

http://www.competentperson.co.uk/search.asp

Lost for words BAS?

You have no interest in learning what you need to know to be safe, you do not want to listen to anything which does not match your pre-formed opinions. You can't even be bothered to look at links provided which answer your question, so lazy and arrogant are you.

Judging by your other posts regarding safe working practices, I don't think you should pass such comments BAS.

Judging by your other posts regarding safe working practices, I don't think you should pass such comments BAS.
Why should the fact that I advocate safe working practices mean that I shouldn't have said what I did above?

Did I say there was?

get me right here, I did not come here to buy books, fart pink and jump thro 20 million hoops, debate, get all sentimental on a forum, draw this out to 12 pages of c**p, debate if I put the live wire in my mouth and jumped in the bath I would die or live etc etc etc etc

FFS, has screwfix closed their forum? I'm struglling to see why anybody would bother with this. Maybe the mods should start deleting threads.
BAS has tried to answer the question and Fing has tried to pick a fight.
Can we just get back to helping out on this forum?

BAS has tried to answer the question and Fing has tried to pick a fight.
Yes it does seem somewhat bizarre. OK, you may or may not agree with my position that as there are regulations which you should follow, and laws which you must it's a good idea to get hold of a couple of useful books to help you comply. But nevertheless I did give the OP the information he needed, and then when he went off on one saying he wasn't interested in reading anything, and didn't believe in safety FR decided that because I was interested in safety it was wrong for me to criticise the OP!

Perhaps I should look back at the dates when he last got all petty and irrational - maybe it's linked to the phases of the moon... :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back