Electric Towel Rail installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am going to replace an existing old Towel Rail with a new electric Towel Rail in a bathroom with basin, toilet and shower enclosure only there is no bath.

What is the correct sequence of connections for a Towel Rail if it is fitted outside of the enclosure between the toilet and enclosure end panel.

Can a Switched double pole neon FCU be fitted inside the bathroom on the tiled wall or has it got to be outside of the bathroom.

Sponsored Links
You as for correct so first is to submit plans and pay the fee to LABC.

In real terms this will cost more than getting a scheme member electrician to do the job so just not worth doing as a DIY job.

You as for correct so first is to submit plans and pay the fee to LABC.

In real terms this will cost more than getting a scheme member electrician to do the job so just not worth doing as a DIY job.

Can anyone fit an electric towel rail in a bathroom in the correct zone(s); do all the work; i.e. fix to the wall without regulation, then use an electrician to connect power supply to towel rail. By doing this route, no electrics are touched; like fitting a bathroom, anyone can do this so long as electrics are not being touched.

Can anyone fit an electric towel rail in a bathroom in the correct zone(s); do all the work; i.e. fix to the wall without regulation, then use an electrician to connect power supply to towel rail. By doing this route, no electrics are touched; like fitting a bathroom, anyone can do this so long as electrics are not being touched.

Yes - however this won't save any money, since 'all the work' of fitting the rail is 4 screws in the wall, and would only take a few minutes.
If power is available nearby, the whole job would probably only be an hour - unlikely that anyone would charge for less than an hour's time.

Legal options are either notify LABC and pay the fee, do the whole lot yourself
Or get an electrician to do the whole thing including notification
Or waste your own time fixing the rail to the wall, then get an electrician to do the electrical part.

Other non-legal options are available.

Anyone can do electrical work - some of it requires notification first.
Just as anyone could install a whole bathroom - which in some instances would require notification as well.

Sponsored Links

Yes - however this won't save any money, since 'all the work' of fitting the rail is 4 screws in the wall, and would only take a few minutes.
If power is available nearby, the whole job would probably only be an hour - unlikely that anyone would charge for less than an hour's time.

Legal options are either notify LABC and pay the fee, do the whole lot yourself
Or get an electrician to do the whole thing including notification
Or waste your own time fixing the rail to the wall, then get an electrician to do the electrical part.

Other non-legal options are available.

Anyone can do electrical work - some of it requires notification first.
Just as anyone could install a whole bathroom - which in some instances would require notification as well.

Thanks for the advice; My Towel Rail is a Kudox 250 Watt electric rail curved and Kudox do not include any template for the lugs; you have to make your own; I would use the packing cardboard box.

The position for the rail is on a newly tiled floor to ceiling studded wall in zone 2, plaster boarded both sides and there are really no fixings available to me to prevent the tiles or plasterboard on the bathroom side from pulling away; so...I would use M6 x 100mm BZP Roof bolts (PTFE wound round them at the bathroom end to provide annular cushioning protection to the tiles then through into the other side which is a cupboard where BZP washers and special conservatory ratchet roof nuts would be used; thereby spreading the load and avoiding any cracked tile joints or movement in the Bathroom. This particular job will take some time to complete properly.

The position for the rail is on a newly tiled floor to ceiling studded wall in zone 2, plaster boarded both sides and there are really no fixings available to me
Of course there are.
to prevent the tiles or plasterboard on the bathroom side from pulling away;
Did you not screw the plasterboard to the studs and
fix the tiles to the plasterboard with adhesive?

so...I would use M6 x 100mm BZP Roof bolts (PTFE wound round them at the bathroom end to provide annular cushioning protection to the tiles
Will the plastic supports not do this?

then through into the other side which is a cupboard where BZP washers and special conservatory ratchet roof nuts would be used; thereby spreading the load and avoiding any cracked tile joints or movement in the Bathroom. This particular job will take some time to complete properly.
Mmmm, nice.

By the way - if the FCU is outside the zones then it is not notifiable but must still be installed and tested along with the RCD properly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back