Heated Towel Rails

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am about to install a dual fuel heated towel rail in my bathroom. I understand that the element that heats the towel rail in the summer when the central heating is not on can added as a spur off of the ring main with an FCU installed outside the room - which is what I plan to do. However, I do have a couple of questions.

The first concerns the connection from the spur to the flex coming from the element. I intend to chase the cable from the FCU into the wall and then into a connection box where it can be connected to the flex from the element in the towel rail. My concern is that I think this connection is just inside Zone 2 (0.5m) from the edge of the bath. Therefore would it be OK to proceed provide I bought an IP rated Flex outlet box and if so where can I buy one of those? Also should this be fused as well for extra protection? Or if not then any other suggestions on how to connect this up without relocating the towel rail farther away from the bath?

The second concerns the cable running to the towel rail and may be redundent depending on the answer to question 1. This is due to run under the bathroom floor - does it matter if this runs underneath the bath? or do I need to route it away from this area. I believe it would be OK but I would like to confirm. I ask because the most direct route from the airing cupboard (outside the bathroom) where the FCU is and the towel rail is under the floor that the bath will eventually sit on. Obviously the less work the better, however if it's better to route away from that area then that's what I'll do.

Thanks in advance for your help

Sponsored Links
Thanks in adavnce for the help - or not

Nevermind it was worth a try

Mr Impatient!

I have not seen a IP flex outlet, but will stand corrected if someone proves me wrong.

You do not need a fuse, as there is one already in the spur. BTW, I would use an RCD spur, unless your supply is protected back at the board.

As a point of safety, I would relocate not the rail, but the F/O. Put it in Z3 and run the flex to it.

Cable under bath is fine. But I would aviod any connections (jb's etc) under there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back