ostberg duct fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello guys. i can do plumbing but not very good with electricity. In my flat there is a extractor fan Ostberg, article number: 7540001 type LPK 100A in the ceiling. All of sudden it is stopped working. On the instruction and maintenance paper it says to check first the impeller is not blocked or change the capacitor. It does not say how to do that though. Does any of you can guide me through it please? Thank you very much for your time.

Sponsored Links
I'm not familiar with the Ostberg fans, but the very first thing to do is to check that there is voltage at the mains input terminals of the fan. Have you checked that using a multimeter or two-probe test device.

If there's no volts there, then you'll need to find where teh supply comes from. Maybe someone has turned off teh switch, or the fuse has gone.

Hi guys thanks for getting back to me. It was working three days ago then when i got back to the flat this morning the fan did not go round. The fan is located just when you open the trap in the ceiling. I unscrewed the four slotted screws and dislodged the metal fan cover from its hinges. But then in the cover there are four additional phillips screws to remove the fan from the metal cover......well i havent unscrewed those screws!! Should i do that in order to have a look at the impeller? There is a square junction box where the fan connects into but i do not know how to open it to disconnect the connection as i can not feel any screws. Is it just a matter to pull away the the cover or there should be screws to open it up? Sorry for the lengthy thread.

Sponsored Links
If you are removing covers, it is important that you isolate the fan.
I have never worked on this type of fan, but my understanding is the the control box is located on the duct to the side of the fan.

Hi PrenticeBoyofDerry. There is indeed a white square box on the duct to the side of the fan. Shall i just remove the cover once i have isolated the fan and disconnect the fan and see whether the impeller is blocked? If the impeller is not blocked, where do i locate the capacitor to replace it? Is it a job a diy can do or do i need to call an electrician? Thanks you all for your time.

Hi Taylortwocities. The control box is located on the duct to the side of the fan. Do you know how to dislodge the plastic control box from the duct? Do i just have to pull it? I cant remove cover of control box and see whether there is any juice as i do not have much room for manoeuvre, i"d rather remove the whole control box, open it and have a look. Thanks for your help.

Hi PrenticeBoyofDerry. There is indeed a white square box on the duct to the side of the fan. Shall i just remove the cover once i have isolated the fan and disconnect the fan and see whether the impeller is blocked?
That would be something worth doing but as TTC has stated, one important check is to see if you have voltage at the fan

If the impeller is not blocked, where do i locate the capacitor to replace it? Is it a job a diy can do or do i need to call an electrician? Thanks you all for your time.
I think the capacitor is situated on a link wire between live and neutral (load side) at the control terminals.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back