OT: Looking for a DC PSU

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Slightly off topic, but im wondering if anyone can help.
I have a PSU which has 24VDC input then out puts -12VDC 0VDC and +12VDC. This has failed and is giving out aprox -3.8VDC and +4VDC. This supplies a specific (anicent) serial line driver which we cannot replace at this time (trust me ive tried). So i need to replace the PSU to get it working again.

Does anyone know where i can find such a 12-0-12 PSU? I have tried RS but cant seem to find anything suitable. I suspect that some thing could be made up, but im not sure how. Current is aprox 700mA.

Sponsored Links
So use two of them and tie the 0V rail together? For some reason i'm really struggling to grasp this?
I found this voltage divider using resistors but i dont seem to "get it". Surely the top rail will give =24VDC, the middle +12VDC and the bottom 0V.

schema.png

Sponsored Links
So use two of them and tie the 0V rail together? For some reason i'm really struggling to grasp this?
I found this voltage divider using resistors but i dont seem to "get it". Surely the top rail will give =24VDC, the middle +12VDC and the bottom 0V.

schema.png

No. That only works if you don't draw any current from the outputs. Not what you want (but not for the reason you suggest).

Thanks guys. Found what i'm after on RS now. I wasn't looking for the right thing, but have now.

Surely the top rail will give =24VDC, the middle +12VDC and the bottom 0V.
It would if you considered the bottom rail as 0V.
If you consider the middle as 0V, the others are +12 and -12.
Or if the top one is 0V, you have -12 and -24.

0V is just a reference point you are choosing to be zero, against which the other voltages are measured.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back